Connecting to Server

jagvik12

Registered
New here, and new MAC user. Received Powerbook yesterday, and connected to wireless router and went on the internet, did regular things, no problem. Today, wake up only to get an error message when I try to go on the internet, Internet Explorer or Safari. Both say something to the extent of cannot find specified server. Called Apple Care, and don't have $349 right now or whatever for him to help me....that was wrong....but need help. I feel stupid...few more days
Any help, thanks a lot.

See if you can visit sites by IP address. Try this URL (it’s the IP of macintouch.com):

http://64.243.24.160/

If you were able to pull up the site that way but can’t hit it or any other site by domain then you are looking at a DNS issue.

Call your ISP and ask them what DNS servers you should use. You can then manually configure them under your system preferences (apple menu -> preferences -> network (?I think?). (I’m having trouble giving you the exact path to the option because I’m in front of a PC at work).

If you weren’t able to hit the site by IP then you are probably just not connected to the wireless network anymore. So go to the airport menu (hopefully it’s up near the upper right hand side of the menu bar that’s always visible) -> click the icon -> select your network and auth options (wep, wpa, etc..).

I hope that helps.

I just tried the IP, and got the connection failed error.

I cannot locate the auth options part. I click on the wavelengths and these are my options:
Turn Airport Off
(check mark)belkin54g
other...
create network
use interference robustness
open internet connect

Thanks

Hmm, shut down the computer because I thought there was no use to hav eit on. After turning it back on to try those things, internet is working again. Fixed for now, but anybody know what happened and how to prevent?
Thanks

May by that the DHCP lease expired and did not get renewed by server. I am guessing that you have a DSL router acting as a DHCP server. If so when you connect you are given an IP that will last for a set amount of time, this is the lease. After this the Power book should request a new IP form the router (DHCP Server). If this did not happen then the Power book is no longer connected to the LAN and hence is uable to do anything.

A good test for this in the future is to try to browse to the internet interface of your router often set as 192.168.1.1 and see if you can see it. If not then there is a good chance you are not connected to the network. I.e. no IP address.

Hope this helps Kieran.

Back