Connecting to Win2k shares?

hazmat

Rusher of Din
Is anyone here able to connect to Win2k shares via SMB? I have a Win2k PC on my home network, and cannot connect to any shares. I know that I was able to connect to NT4 Workstation shares at my old job just fine via SMB, but not Win2k Pro. DAVE works, but there is no reason I should have to pay for software when OS X is supposed to do it just fine.

Thanks.

Heck yeah can I connect to my W2K Pro shares using X's built-in SMB client. And I didn't have to install any UAM stuff.

It worked with W2K Pro, and it works now with WXP Pro. I use Sharity, but it definitely works just using the built-in client. Sharity is a good little program, and it's free for limited use.
http://www.obdev.at/products/sharity/index.html

I have a simple setup using crossover cable, which probably makes it easier to configure.

good luck

My original post is now over a month old, and I got it to connect. I was trying the built-in SMB client, but it wouldn't connect. Problem (but should it be?) was that I was connecting to an IP address, where OS X's SMB client would only connect to the Windows machine name. Weird.

Glad to hear it. I was kind of wondering, given the date of the original post.

But isn't that available only for connecting to W2K Server, not W2K Pro? I was under the impression that one would install UAM for W2K Server's File Services for Macintosh.

I just tried it and it works great. I've been able to connect to Win98/NT/2K without any problems.

and freeware is just about right on the price. :D

Back