Connecting to Windows Network Query

FOOOD

Registered
I'm a Mac OS X newbie but have successfully connected it to my PC network via a router/modem/hub thingy.

When I first connected to my PC (running XP) from my Mac I opened up Finder>Network> & I could se my PC. I double clicked on it, logged in & could see/access all the shared folders on my PC.

Now when I go to Finder>Network>double click on my PC a box pops up saying

SMB Mount
Select a share.
I then select a shared folder & it mounts in the Finder bar on the left & on the desktop. (Have to do this one folder at a time).

How do I set it up so that when I double click on my PC (in Network) it shows all the shared folders on my PC instead popping up the SMB Mount box? (So I can basically browse the shared folders on the PC).

Also is it possible to put a shortcut (or mount the PC network) on the left hand side of Finder & on the desktop so that I don't have to mount it every time I start up my Mac?

Another thing.
I can't see my shared drives on my PC from my Mac (I just see the shared folders). How do I see the shared drives or how do I map the shared drives so they show up on my Mac?

Hi Foood and welcome to the forum.
The finder network browsing is yet not completely bug-free. By time you will rather use the smb mount box (use Apple+K on Finder) for network-browsing.
Of course you can use shortcuts of the mounted drives. Once you mounted the drives successfully, simply drag them to the left banner of the Finder. Et voila.
You can share drives as well. Just make sure they are properly shared on the WinXP box and when you use Apple+K, they should be listed.

FOOOD said:
Now when I go to Finder>Network>double click on my PC a box pops up saying...

That's a "feature" of the latest OS upgrade. I think they did it that way because they couldn't make browsing reliable enough.

So I have to put up with the SMB Mount box?
Oh well, thanks a lot for the info :)

And I'll take a look at my drives to make sure they're shared properly.

Once you mount the discs via smb, you can drag and drop them into the Finder banner. No need to use the smb mount box again..

I know this topic is old, but i was wondering the exact same thing and i didn't want to create a new thread on it.

I have my Mac set up on a domain at work with ~20 PC's and some of those PCs have a lot of shares for different drives on them. Mounting them is not the best option for me (infact, it makes things very difficult).

Is there any way for me to browse all the PCs on our domain and view the shares without having to select what i want to mount? It's a very messy system having to mount every drive rather then openly browing it and is one of the very few things i think Windows does better. I'm loving this PC, but accessing my files is a lot harder, especially when i'm not sure which share contains the file.

Back