Connecting to windows shares...

dfbills

So does anyone know how to connect to windows share volumes? I was using DAVE and I know about Samba for unix.. anyone doing this?

You could mount through DAVE in classic (I didn't check this, but it works for AppleShare).

Samba and other stuff will not be supported until the dev tools come out in mid-October, since there is no safe way to compile them...
Someone (me) might do the port using the publicly available Darwin tools...

Hmm, that's an interesting idea. I hadn't thought of that. It reminds me of the really strange behavior that you get when connecting with Timbuktu to X.

I'll report back after I try it at work tomorrow.

DAVE definitely doesn't work under PB. It semi-locks up Classic so that you can't run any apps.

Samba would be great, if it worked so that Classic apps could access the shares.

With Sharity's demo, I can access most (but not all) of my shares at work with the OS X side, but not Classic at all, they don't appear anywhere.

This is going to be a big deal, because I'm sure there are a lot more people like myself that collaborate in an all-Windows based office and will need this access. For me, it makes it so that I can't actually do any useful work yet in OS X.

Hey I downloaded the source for samba-2.0.7 and compiled it. But I can't seem to get it to work. I put the information in as it asked me too but I'm wondering if darwin handles thing differently. I know it uses the lookupd but I read the man page on that and didn't get any additional information.

Also doesn't the source for samba come with smbmount? That would be useful since I don't just need windows to see me, but I need to see them.

Have you tried running or compiling it with debugging on. This would definetly help you work out why things aren't working as exepected. I haven't used samba in a bit so I can 't be too specific.

Samba doesn't come with smbmount (a.k.a. SMBFS) because SMBFS is actually a seperate development effort and so far has only been done for Linux. A *BSD port is in the works, but I couldn't get it to compile under OS X PB. I did, however, find an alternative. You can get the scoop in my HOWTO I posted at:

http://www.macosx.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=560

Good luck!

-n8

Back