Connecting to Windows XP Network

IanTate

Registered
Hi,

I need a little direction from one of the experts please. We have an XP Pro SP2 network in our home office. A 4 port LinkSys Router ( all connections are hard wired - though this router has the wireless option ). I just purchased a used iMAC G4 w/ 20" Flat Panel - it has OSX 10.3.9 on it.

Can someone please point me to documentation on how to do the following, or tell me how to do the following.

1 - Create a Share on one of the XP systems that the MAC can read/write to

or

2 - Create a Share on the MAC that the XP systems can read and write to

3 - How can I share the laser printer on my XP Pro PC with the MAC ? The printer is direct connected to the PC, not to the router.

Many thanks in advance,

Ian

IanTate said:
Hi,

I need a little direction from one of the experts please. We have an XP Pro SP2 network in our home office. A 4 port LinkSys Router ( all connections are hard wired - though this router has the wireless option ). I just purchased a used iMAC G4 w/ 20" Flat Panel - it has OSX 10.3.9 on it.

Can someone please point me to documentation on how to do the following, or tell me how to do the following.

1 - Create a Share on one of the XP systems that the MAC can read/write to

or

2 - Create a Share on the MAC that the XP systems can read and write to

3 - How can I share the laser printer on my XP Pro PC with the MAC ? The printer is direct connected to the PC, not to the router.

Many thanks in advance,

Ian

Hi IanTate. Welcome to the forum. :)

As for the iMac, if it's running Mac OS X 10.3.9, then it should automatically find all the Windows machines on the network thanks to Samba being a part of the operating system. On the menu at top, select Go and then Connect to Server. Then select Browse and a Finder window should open up. Give it some time to detect all the machines on the network. Once they are shown, go into the PC listed that has a shared resource and open it. You might be prompted for a password to access the Windows share.

If you want to create a share on the Mac that the Windows computers can see, head over to System Preferences and select Sharing. In there, you'll notice some options like Personal Web Sharing, Personal File Sharing, etc. You'll see one called Windows Sharing. Enable that and you'll be able to share out to Windows PCs.

As for the printer, I believe that you can use Samba to access it, although I haven't actually tried it. You have to do this from the Printer Setup Utility in Applications-->Utilities. Select one of the option from the drop down menu and add the printer. Mind you, you might need to get the necessary printer drivers for that printer if OS X doesn't have it listed. Check the printer manufacturer's site for updated Mac OS X drivers.

Good luck, and let us know how it turns out.

Hi Nixgeek,

In a nutshell, it worked like a champ, very smooth,and very seamless. I was quite impressed actually.

I have always wanted to make the shift to the MAC, but never thought I ( we - my wife and I ) could make the shift at our own pace. This is perfect.

Connecting to the printer was as easy as connecting to the share I had created on my XP box. The driver was not in the list of printers ( HP 970 cxi ) but I downloaded the driver from HP, and it's printing across the net in our office like a champ.

I really appreciate you taking the time to write your note, and get me going in the right direction. It's nice to see that this forum works as described.

Signed, a new Mac Convert

Ian

Back