Connecting two macs simultaneously to Internet via CableModem & an Ethernet hub.

Trujiao

Registered
I have this situation now: I recently got a small Ethernet hub (6 ports) to make a small network at home. I have right now a Titanium (MacOSX.1), a 8600/300 (MacOS 9.1) and a PeeCee (Win98), and I want them all to get connected to the Internet simultaneously.

Right now, I have a Cable connection, so I have connected the ethernet cable from the CableModem to the hub, then I connected every computer to the hub via ethernet. The problem is that I don't have any Internet connection from other equipment but the Titanium. My ISP provides me a dinamyc IP address, which usually varies from 208.x.x.x to 255.x.x.x. In the Titanium, the address is OK, but in the other equipments the address is wrong (169.x.x.x), and I know this kind of address is not useful, since I can not even browse the internet. Somebody could help me with this issue?:confused:

Another network problem I am having now, has to do with the fact that I can't connect to the Titanium from the 8600... in the other way, the Titanium recognizes the 8600 and I can access everything inside perfectly from MacOS X.1. But everytime I try to do it from the 8600 (OS 9.2), I get the following message on the chooser after inserting the username, password and click on "Connect": "The connection to this server has been unexpectedly broken"... Network Browser application doesn't work either...any ideas?:confused:

Thanks!

I agree a router is the easiest way to go. Getting a router with a 4 port switch is nice but not critical. Your 'net connection is probably no more then 265 kb/s. Any hub you buy is going to be at least 10 Mb/s and more likely 100 Mb/s. Even if you are saturating your 'net connection you aren't even beginning to saturate your local network. Hubs are cheaper and fine if you are not going to be performing lots of local network transfers (but switches are getting cheaper every day).

Linksys does make good low cost products and also D-Link. Since you already have a hub you don't need to buy a combined router and switch unless you just want to have less hassle. Also if you get a combo product you can plug your hub into the router/switch to increase the number of ports you ave available. Have fun!

Tom

The reason your getting the 169.x.x.x is that you have set your other machines to get a dynamic address from a dhcp server, and there is non to be found. Seems that your Tibook has taken your 1 cable provided address. You will require a router or a computer performing NAT which will take your 1 cable dhcp address and share it among ur local network.

Thanks a lot, fellows! It seems I have the perfect solution right now!!!:D

BTW, some friend of mine told me something about some 'software routers' like Vicomsoft's or SustainableSoftworks.... Are they a reliable option, or should I definately go with a hardware router?

Thanks for your soon answer and your good mood! :cool:

I have (2) NetGear Cable Modem Routers, work great with Mac's, for sale, each at $70 each plus shipping.

2 different models, both 4 port 10/100 switch... one is just last years model, with the smaller one being this years model.

Admin

I have a home network based, in part, on Linux. My Linux server is a Pentium III 450 with 128MB of RAM and runs Mandrake 8.1. It handles the roles of

1. internet gateway/router
2. caching name server
3. web server
4. dhcp server
5. firewall
6. samba file server
I have my PowerBook, my PowerMac 7200, and my Windows machine all using it for all of the above listed purposes! I couldn't be happier with the results.

Back