Connection Status in Menu Bar

MacNEO

Dirty Mac Monkey
Is there anyway to have an icon type status thing for your internet connection? Something thing like the phone icon for modem status?

Which os? 10.2.8?
If so, than go to system preferences and check for network or so. (Sorry, am on panther and I don't remember jaguar clearly). Take your internal modem and click the last tab called modem I think. On the bottom you will find a box saying if the status should be shown in the Menu Bar or so...
click

Yeah, but that is not what I want. I don't use dial-up. I use high speed internet. I was wondering if there is a connection meter like the dial-up icon for the ethernet connection. Sorry I wasn't too clear...

Originally posted by MacNEO
Yeah, but that is not what I want. I don't use dial-up. I use high speed internet. I was wondering if there is a connection meter like the dial-up icon for the ethernet connection. Sorry I wasn't too clear...

What protocol do you use? If you use PPPoE, there's a "Show PPPoE status in menu bar" checkbox in the PPPoE tab in the Network control panel, where you enter your account details.
If you use DHCP though, it's a router that handles the internet connection, and you'll be connected to the internet as long as you're connected to it.

If you want no connection at all try this:
(been using Panther since WWDC, so I'm writing this up from memory)

Open System Preferences
Click on the Location drop-down menu and choose New…
Give your new location a witty name like, "Workin' without a 'Net"
Click on the Show drop-down menu and choose Network Port Configurations
Un-check all network ports

Now whenever you want to disconnect from the 'Net, just go under the Apple Menu, choose Location then choose "Workin' without a 'Net"

I use the PPPoE status in my menu bar for my DSL. Why make a new location when you can click the menu bar item and disconnect it? But thats not a bad idea for other things besides that.

Back