Considering getting an iPhone, but....

chemistry_geek

Registered
I'm a diehard Apple fan boy and am considering getting an iPhone, however, I've read some articles on the internet, including Slashdot, indicating that the iPhone is a great mobile computer but not a great phone. I've always used a Motorola mobile phone and they are great phones with very specific features that I rely on. I'm primarily concerned with safety features. Some questions I have are:

Can you press a button, speak a contact's name, and the call goes through?

Does the iPhone Bluetooth Sync to a Garmin GPS unit for hands-free operation while operating a motor vehicle? I don't want to break the law and get a hefty ticket or more importantly cause an accident. I need to be able to speak commands to my phone through a Bluetooth sync and have them carried out while I'm driving.

I've read that reception can be poor and calls are dropped. How often does this happen relative to previous service with other carriers/devices you've had before?

Owning previous phones, how would you rate your satisfaction with the quality of service from both the device itself and the service from AT&T?

Has anyone had the unfortunate opportunity of calling 911 and did the iPhone properly disclose your location? All mobile phones sold in the USA are supposed to provide GPS/cell tower triangulation for location determination. If I find myself in an automobile accident and I have the opportunity to dial 911, I want the rescue squad to get to me ASAP. This really is the biggest safety feature I'm concerned about - EMERGENCY.

I've already had to call 911 from my Motorola cell phone and 'they' did find where I was located, however, I was calling for assistance for someone else many miles away. I just want to make sure that the iPhone can meet my needs from the perspective of people who've had experience with other devices and service providers.

I already have a 16 GB iPod Touch, so I know that it is basically an iPhone without the phone. I use it daily to check email, surf the web, etc... and now that I'm on vacation thousands of miles from home, finding an available wireless network has proved challenging, and I cannot be separated from email, internet, Google Maps, etc...

Is there an 'emergency' app or quick-dial feature of the iPhone that can dial 911 and provide detailed location information to government agencies? If so, how many key strokes are required? Is speech recognition part of this feature?

On my Motorola phone, I can say 'call 911' and I'm connected! Will the iPhone do this?

So in a dire situation, you'll have to just unlock the phone, hit the home button and then find the app "Say It" to start dialing by voice. Yeah.

Back