Console Information

jsnyder12

Registered
Imac G5, OS X 10.4.2
I've been getting the following messages from Console when using Carbon Copy Cloner. Is there a problem here that I should correct?
Oct 4 10:34:31 Macintosh mDNSResponder: Couldn't read user-specified Computer Name; using default “Macintosh-000000000000” instead
Oct 4 10:34:36 Macintosh mDNSResponder: Couldn't read user-specified Computer Name; using default “Macintosh-000000000000” instead
Oct 4 11:08:13 Macintosh mDNSResponder: Couldn't read user-specified Computer Name; using default “Macintosh-0011243F677E” instead

Also, when using Quicken, I get the following. Is it anything to worry about?

Quicken 2005(448,0xa000ef98) malloc: *** Deallocation of a pointer not malloced: 0xffffffff; This could be a double free(), or free() called with the middle of an allocated block; Try setting environment variable MallocHelp to see tools to help debug

For the first problem, something in the computer name you've specified isn't compatible with the standards for domain names (eg: you've used an illegal character in your computer name, such as # or @ or :). Change your computer name by going into Apple Menu --> System Preferences --> Sharing. Change "Computer Name" to something simple with no punctuation characters.

As for the Quicken error, this is a problem with the program itself and only the developer can correct it with a patch. It basically is a warning of an incorrectly handled memory pointer in the program. Thankfully, the system will prevent anything bad from happening ... it won't be able to crash your Mac ... but it might cause problems in Quicken itself. If there are any patches or updates to Quicken available, install them. Then, if you're still having the problem, shoot an email off to the developer advising that they have a problem in their program.

Back