Controlling a Mac - from a PC?

MacMuppet

Registered
Hello troops.

As my G4 resides in the kitchen (there's no room elsewhere) its not always convenient to nip in there to manipulate iTunes or similar. However, I will shortly be acquiring a couple of old PC laptops - when I say old I'm talking a 400-600Mhz Dell or thereabouts, and a similar Toshiba, they are cast-offs and I haven't got to look at them yet, but I gather they are at least Pentium 2.

What I want to know is, can I remotely control the Mac from one of the PCs? I know this is possible in about 50 different ways the other way round (controlling a PC from a Mac) with various Apps, but haven't seen anything for this instance.

Does anyone know of any third party Apps, shareware, freeware etc that I could use?
Speed doesnt concern me really - for any real work or extended use I'll sit at the G4, but idle browsing and changing playlists should hardly necessitate me getting off my arse, now, should it? Just a little window on the Mac screen - don't want to emulate (I don't care much about speed, but while I'm young eh?) and it'll be within the same LAN so 100Mb data transfer. Naturally I'd rather chew my own arm off than use a PC at home, but a PC thats now a glorified iTunes remote would be bareable....

Any ideas?

Try VNC. It works great, and you can even run it full screen on the PC so it looks like you're running OS X on it, but just slightly laggy refreshing sometimes.

OSXvnc seems like the best VNC server for OS X. It runs as an application on OS X, and sends the screen to any connected clients.

VNC Viewer 4.0b works better than the official release on the PC because it is faster.

OSXvnc you can find through Versiontracker.com and the PC client you can find through http://www.realvnc.com, just look for the 4.0 beta download link.

Nice one Captain - just what I was after! Yes, this looks good - now all I have to do is trek out to the countryside to pick up the laptops - hardly a chore in such fine weather as we're enjoying over here in Blighty at the mo... :D

TimBukTu cost about &100.00. Does work much faster than VNC, but VNC is free.

If this is something you have to use on a daily basis, then I would use TimBukTu.

Back