Controlling the Powerbook Backlit Keyboard

mtrapani

Registered
I’m almost embarrassed to admit this…

I have trouble seeing my 15” Powerbook backlit keyboard. It dims and illuminates automatically using an algorithm that doesn’t work for my eyes. I want a bright screen AND bright backlighting when the ambient light is low (not off), but the light sensors take control no matter how I set the preferences and my F-key adjustments are overridden almost immediately.

I’ve been told (see my previous post “backlit keyboard, 9/11/05) that there’s no way to change this. Well, there is, kind of.

I had the Powerbook apart to install a larger hard drive. There, easily recognizable beneath the speaker grills (once the top plate has been removed) are the two ambient light sensors. Taking matters into my own hands, I covered each of them with a tiny piece of blue masking tape before reassembling the Powerbook.

Presto! The sensors still work, but now activate backlighting before ambient illumination reaches full darkness. I control the keyboard brightness manually (or turn it off completely) with the F-keys. Backlighting still shuts of when the room is fully illuminated.

If I keep the keyboard preferences "illuminate under low light conditions" off and also turn off automatic adjustment of display brightness, both my display and keyboard brightness are under complete manual control. I’m a happy camper! The backlit keyboard is much more useful.

I hope others with visual problems will find this solution valuable.

Back