Convert back to 10.1.5

Dekatophil

Registered
Is there a way to convert back to 10.1.5 (from 10.2) other than a clean install ?
10.2 is so buggy for me that I cannot really work with it. Mail crashes way too often. After initial success Word crashes everytime at startup. So does AW now, although the first couple of launches were okay. Java apps take minutes to start (lkie Encyclopedia Britannica). I tried to export a video with QT 6 (the result being that it crashed somewhere in the middle) etc...
Besides a somewhat faster Finder and a funny app called iChat Jaguar hasn't really given me anything but bugs...

I need a system I can work with... so, any easy way to convert back ? (Probably not).

Sadly, a clean install is your only option. I had to do the same, as audio is so completely broken under 10.2 that it makes the less-than-perfect 10.1.5 audio seem ideal in comparison.

Very depressing.

i am curently running a build of 10.2.1 and the mail problems and the sound problems under 10.2 seem to be fixed hang in there it should be released soon.

i'd also try to reinstall 10.2 first, since i haven't seen your sort of problems on several machines. word doing fine. appleworks doing fine. maybe it's just something in your preferences. maybe the upgrading process wasn't what it was promised to be... i'd try a clean 10.2 install first. or, as the post before mine suggests, wait for 10.2.1. The later builds are very stable already, the final one will be perfect.

Well, I feel pretty confident that the preferences are okay. Probably something during the upgrade process went wrong. Indeed, I had already done an install over the original one. That had helped a little... The overall behaviour is strange however. It seems to be kernel related... Entourage works fine, Word doesn't. PP hoses the system at launch and then hangs. Interestingly, boot is fast but log-in takes about 2 minutes.
Oh well. I hope an upgrade comes soon and fixes things... if not I'll have to do a clean install.
Thanks for your input !

I've had sound problems too. For me, the symptom is that the machine simply goes quiet. It's usually after a few days uptime and a few different sound producing apps (iTunes and RealPlayer). Then, no sound. Nothing. I tried closing apps, killing processes, adjusting the volume,whatever. Nothing works.

I'm not sure if that's the same problem that other people are having.

From all of the posts I've read in this and other forums on Jag installs, it appears that those having problems often (but not necessarily always) have fiddled with the existing X version....moved files, etc. and then did not do a wipe and install, or archive and install. An upgrade will often show problems that existed but weren't apparent before the upgrade, but are very evident afterwards. Building a new house on a poor foundation isn't going to have the desired results.

A number of users have upgraded with no problems, but only after running their "maintenance routine"...Disk Utility (or fsck -y), Macjanitor, Disk Warrior, Norton Speed Disk, or whatever else they use.

My Jag order has just shipped. I have enough partitions and backups that I am going to try all methods of installation. I don't know if that will prove anything, but it gives me the most chances for success.

I was having weirdness the first time I installed Jaguar... can't say what but I'm not suprised with all the sytem mod programs that where on my system at one point or another...

So instead of trying to figure out what the problem was, and since I found a good (Western Digital) large (120GBs) Hard Drive for cheap ($119), I installed that as the Master drive, and did a clean install.

and I've had no major problems...
Only bug I've found so far is a minor one (right-clicking on a folder in the dock does not always show the contents in a white pop-up menu but a dark semi-transperant one).

>Sound is one of the things that works just fine...
>Curious, very curious...

If audio is working "fine" for you under jag, you are very lucky.

Check out the Apple support Audio discussion board (Discussions > Mac OS X > Using Technologies > Audio).

There are several *long* threads of dozens of angry customers who can't get audio to work acceptably under Jag.

No problems with audio with either my own Mac or the one I manage at the office...

Home - Digital Audio Dual 533Mhz G4 10.2 Jaguar

Office - Dual Optical, Dual 1Ghz DDR RAM, 10.2 Server (and had no problem when it was 10.2 Jaguar before turning into 10.2 Server).

Originally posted by modelamac
From all of the posts I've read in this and other forums on Jag installs, it appears that those having problems often (but not necessarily always) have fiddled with the existing X version....moved files, etc. and then did not do a wipe and install, or archive and install. An upgrade will often show problems that existed but weren't apparent before the upgrade, but are very evident afterwards. Building a new house on a poor foundation isn't going to have the desired results.

A number of users have upgraded with no problems, but only after running their "maintenance routine"...Disk Utility (or fsck -y), Macjanitor, Disk Warrior, Norton Speed Disk, or whatever else they use.

What can I say ? This it not the first time I've installed a new system. I don't know what you mean "fiddling". I have certainly moved files but no deep level stuff. Obviously, I have done the usual maintenance checks (actually more than you mention above). I've made sure no kexts or anything that doesn't belong in the system is there. As I said, the problem is in the kernel and I ***did not fiddle with it***. As for Office:mac, I did a totally new, clean install... still no luck. The "poor foundation" was rock solid. I never experienced any of the probs others had. Java was incredibly fast and I basically had no app crash on me (the system wouldn't crash anyway).
Problem is, I already use 2 internal discs and two external (FW). Wipe and clean install would mean days of work...

Well, the only system addition that might cause Word problems (not: Entourage runs fine) is cocoAspell. Apple Works runs fine...
I had cocoAspell installed before tho' and it worked fine. Anybody else having an issue with Word ?

I had major sound issues. After about 1 day uptime all sound would stop! It was really strange, apps worked but nothing would come out my speakers.

I had my USB speakers connected to a USB hub, and the hub connected into the back of my mac.

THE FIX THAT WORKED FOR ME!!

I plugged the USB speakers directly into the Mac. For me the bug was related to having my USB speakers playing through the USB hub. Since I made that change all has been working for 2 weeks.

Is this the case for anyone else?? Hope it helps :confused:

Back