Converting!

MacNEO

Dirty Mac Monkey
Hi, I'm new here. This site is pretty kick ass! I am unfortunately using a PC right now and have decided I really need a Mac! I am tired of Windoz. I work in Prepress so I use Macs all the time. Someone I work with bought a 12" PowerBook and I couldn't believe how cool it was! I tried to get a mac awhile back, but they were too expensive for me and there wasn't much for financing at the time. Apple now offers financing, but my problem is which mac is best for me? I think I really want a notebook version, I think I have it narrowed down to the middle model iBook or the starter 12" PowerBook! The PowerBook is a little too costly, but maybe a better choice as far as the video card is concerned. I have read several reviews on them and they get fairly mixed reviews, which is understandable. I plan on doing a little "personal use" design with Illsutrator, Photoshop and probably Quark, and a little .HTML too. Nothing major, just for friends and pratice stuff. I would like to attempt a little Virtual PC for a few games, but for that I generally like old console emulation anyway. Can you guys give me a little direction? Thanx!

Also, can I get a few links for OS Apps and OS performance tips?
Any Mac links appreciated!:D

Given what you plan to do with the new laptop, you could go with any of the Apple's current models.

I have the iBook 800 12" w/ 384MB and have found very little that it cannot do. I have played EverQuest, WarCraft III, Return to Castle Wolfenstein, Freedom Force, etc. without any difficulty. The ATI 7500 32MB video card in the iBook is on the low end, but it performs well. The PowerBooks would run even better, but cost far more than $1299. The productivity apps you mentioned should run fine given the performance of the games I mentioned.

Unfortunately I do not have any experience runing Virtual PC on this machine. It won't be a rocket, but it should run fine given enough memory. Don't expect too much from games under Virtual PC. Emulating the PC is hard enough, expecting it to be a gaming platform is another.

I hope this helps. Welcome!

Oh, and since you mention console emulation, you will find that all of your console emulators are available on the mac platform. Have a look at http://www.emulation.net/

I would recommend either of the 12 inch notebooks wholeheartedly. The iBook 12" with the combo drive is excellent value and will handle all the things you want to do with no worries, though it will struggle on very high-end 3D games. And the PowerBook, although it is a little pricey, is a fantastic bit of hardware and far superior in terms of performance.

Welcome to the Mac Community! :-D

Thanx for the input! I am leaning towards the combo ibook! It is a little more affordable and I can then add more RAM! As far as console emulation goes are the roms cross platform, does anyone know? Will my PC roms work for MAC in other words? Please say yes...!

Yes. a rom is a rom is a rom, of course!

I would recomend getting the iBook 900. Then fill it with ram. I would recomend getting the 512 stick from crucial (www.crucial.com) It's cheaper than apple's, and it works. You'll thank me after trying heavy apps (photoshop and the like) with 128.

Anyone with an ibook, what external speakers do you use with it, if you use it at home? I asked about the Apple Pros in the hardware forum, but no one sounds all that impressed with them. I thought these were half decent for not having a sub.

Back