Cool Tool for all Soccer Fans!

rcakir

Registered
Check out this cool little Application (916KB) from Pier Luigi Covarelli. The App 'KoreaJapan 2002' is available for MacOS 8.x-9.x, MacOS X and Windows (incl. XP).

It would've been REALLY awesome if he had made a chart with the points, net goals, goals for, and goals against for each group. It also would've been super-awesome if he had put in the ability to change the game times to local times.

But it's really nice, and I love the auto-updating feature. :) No more searching all over the FIFA web page for the scores.

Originally posted by rcakir
Check out this cool little Application (916KB) from Pier Luigi Covarelli. The App 'KoreaJapan 2002' is available for MacOS 8.x-9.x, MacOS X and Windows (incl. XP).

That's great, oh and one thing

IT'S NOT F???ING SOCCER.

Football, we invented, we called it FOOTBALL. We don't rename other peoples games. so Don't rename ours. ;)

very cool rcakir!

Somethin' for us!

And alexachucarro, your debate carries weight with me. However, when in America, I call it "Euorpean Football" instead of just "Football" because no one would know I wasn't talking about our game of the same name.:D

Originally posted by evildan
very cool rcakir!

Somethin' for us!

And alexachucarro, your debate carries weight with me. However, when in America, I call it "Euorpean Football" instead of just "Football" because no one would know I wasn't talking about our game of the same name.:D

If we called American Football Gadaffi (made up word) then we as a nation then called it Gadaffi and started other countries thinking that it was Gadaffi, you'd be annoyed. It's like my name, it's not Alec, Alice, Mary or Barbera, its Alex. Thats all.

It's football. Period. (Brits dont say that, but it seems gay writing out "full-stop"!)

alexachucarro,

you make a good point, and I have carried this debate before. It's clear the people from other countries are offended because they feel that America has stolen the name of their great game. (Which I enjoyed playing in high school and college btw).

You raised the fact that your name is alex. Assuming your mother and/or father named you, does that mean they "stole" your name from all of the other people in the world named Alex?

No, it doesn't. we live in a world where we except the fact that different people can have the same name. And I am of the same mind when it comes to the names of games. I think it's perfectly okay to call American Football, just Football, because that's what it is in America. I also feel 100% okay calling European Football, Football in Europe, because that's what it is Europe. Americans are not trying to insult Europeans when they use the word Soccer. It's nothing more than a language variation. Period.

Now, this does not excuse America from renaming football and calling it soccer. But you have only American history to blame for that. American Football was more popular, and still is as a matter of fact, in America then European Football. It wasn't until recently that people in America even started playing on a global scale. And now, of course, there is a craze for it in America, which I am happy to see, being a fan of the sport.

But, and I say this with the upmost respect, you're wrong alex, I am so very sorry. It's not as simple as saying "It's football. Period." If you study language at all you will learn that popular culture influences how we speak. And in America, at present time, When you mention “Football” most Americans won’t understand that you are actually meaning to say what they think of as soccer.

As I said in my original post, I am on your side. I really am. But I am not upset that people in America call it Soccer, because that’s what Americans call European Football. I realize there’s a rally of Football enthusiasts that would love to bash my opinion on this matter, but it’s just not that important to me to get into another debate with the opposition over the matter.

I am an adult, and when it comes down to it, Europeans have no more right to make me call it Football then I do to have them call “Lifts” “Elevators”. Out of respect for culture differences, I adapt. And that my friend is my 2¢.

For what it’s worth, wouldn’t you rather be talking about the game itself?... Really, that’s what is important, isn’t it? :)

Originally posted by evildan
alexachucarro,

...For what it’s worth, wouldn’t you rather be talking about the game itself?... Really, that’s what is important, isn’t it? :)...

Oh yeah I completely agree, but have you read 1984 you know what NewSpeak was? The world will go like that, if you don't presrve language. I think its a real shame that this sort of stuff goes on. In 1928 Turkey gave up their Alphabet (not really an alphabet but-) and adopted the Latin alphabet. i think that's such a shame.

i blame it on the British empire, why DID we need all that Land? America - we'll have it, Australia - we'll have it, India - we;ll have it. and so on. We gave the world English but we killed off a lot of culture. I just think it's a shame.

Back