Copy protect kills iPod?

mindbend

Registered
One of the major music companies (MCA?) announced that all CDs will be copy protected from here on out. Presumably this means iTunes will no longer be able to convert [the new CDs] to MP3s, right?

Certainly there will be hack work arounds, but this does not bode well for the booming MP3 market.

Is this correct, or will iTunes still be able to convert? Thoughts?

Wow, tough question! I hope not! After all, I bought the CDs I hear most often. Sure, I also have MP3 downloaded from the net, but the parts of my music library I am hearing most are bought. That would mean that in the "future", I would again be forced to drop a CD into my Mac when I want to play some songs, that I can't use my iPod and that I can't make my own playlists!!! Oh yeah, what a great "future"!

But well, everybody, including me, who downloads music from the net is somehow guilty for this step!

Soon, copying a DVD will be easier than copying a CD! :p

"When Universal Music Group on Tuesday releases the soundtrack, ``Fast & Furious -- More Music,'' consumers won't be able to copy the music onto another CD or use their PCs to ``rip'' tracks in digital MP3 format. The copy-protection technology will also render the disc unplayable on Macintosh computers, DVD players and game consoles, such as Sony's PlayStation 2. It might not even play in some CD players."

http://www.siliconvalley.com/docs/news/svfront/cd121701.htm

not that I was planning on buying the soundtrack...but this is shitty...

I haven't had time to read much with all the Christmas stuff going on, so I dunno how things really are... but you know... from now on, I have to be extra careful when I buy CDs... It might have a list of compatible hardwares on it... :p

First they supplant cassettes for CDs – CDs, being easier and cheaper to reproduce, as we all know, cost a lot more than tapes. They are also cheaper to ship because they weigh less in volume. yet they charge us more for the end product. so we're getting raped there, the artists are getting raped on royalties, and now they're limiting the hardware we can play it on and the means by which we can reproduce and transfer the music that we pay for. this violates "fair use" copyright law as well.

how sad. how greedy. how absolutely stupid. and believe you me, there WILL be a crack for it soon.

f*ck the man!

lol this is just laughable :p
I've seen programs online that just make carbon copy images of CDs WITH the copy protection on them lol --

As for CDs... The first thing I do when I buy one is make MP3s out of them cause I hate shuffling through CDs to listen to music. All my music lies on my hard drive making it easier to find and listed to music.

These corporations have their ***** so far up their ****** its just hilarious :D

just remember folks, any audio you can hear can be pumped back in to an analogue input in your sound card......

And it will be a while before they make ADC copy protection.

Its too bad all those morpheus users had to mess up so much.

I know that sooner or later, somebody will come up with a way to listen to these stupid things in every way imaginable...

what I'm pissed the most about is that ThEY decided how WE should listen to them...

when I buy a steak, the butcher doesn't tell me to cook the damn thing well-done... he doesn't care what I do with the damn thing... I bought the damn thing, I do whatever I want to with it. He's just happy that I bought what he's selling and just says "thank you, have a nice day." He'll never say "thank you, and by the way, you can only eat that thing this way... and don't be sharing that thing with other people, I'm watching you. and have a nice day"

I know that's sort of irrelevant... I can't copy my steak and share it with other people... and stupid idea came out because of the 'stealing' that goes on every day... but I just have to say they are taking the wrong approach to the issue...

you know... I'm really gonna go crazy and start ______ing (filling whatever you want) these people, if one day, I see "Mac version of _____ (whatever band/singer you want) CD will come out a few months after the PC version"... and when I need firmware update, etc for my CD players...

ok... I'm done... I know I'm not making any sense... but I'm just pissed... gah

Remember we are in the decade of hacking cracking etc. I bet there will be an app out making the CDs copy protection kaput!!!!

The protection won't succed you will see!!!:D :D :D

For me, the analog solution is not a solution for the simple reason that it's such a pain in the ass relative to just popping in a CD and converting some tracks to MP3. I mean, I am so impressed by how easy iTunes has done it. You literally press one single button. Pop in a CD, it auto-launches iTunes, auto-searches the web database, then you press the import button. The only way it could get any easier is if you had it automatically convert every CD put in unless already previously converted. iTunes is one slick little app that I never gave enough credit.

Somebody mentioned violation of Fair Use law from the new copy protected CDs. I am no lawyer and on top of that I have never read the Fair Use law, but since this is just conversation, I'll go ahead and talk as if I know what I'm saying. IMHO--a CD manufacturer is not violating any such law because they have no obligation to assist you in making copies. They provide you with one original. If you can find a way to make a copy strictly for yourself, good for you. Otherwise, they owe you nothing. Believe me, I'm not sticking up for record companies, but let's be realistc.

Some kind of paradigm shift has to occur. People are sick of paying $20 for a stupid CD that costs 10 cents to make, especially now that they can get MP3s for free. A subscription model (online fee-based downloads) sound good in theory, but once that first MP3 is downloaded, guess what, it's free from then on out as it gets emailed around the globe. Macaddict headlined with a price cut in CDs, long in coming from the decade and a half of anal rape on those things. Also, artists are apparently screwed in the deals as the record companies take all the profit. You've got to sell one hell of a lot of records to make real coin.

And the writing is on the wall. DVDs are next. Just as soon as a really really fast high speed network appears, we'll be e-mailing each other "Gladiator" in all of its hacked DVD glory.

It's only fair the providing companies make a decent profit if they put out a quality in-demand product. People that fool themsleves into believing shared MP3s are "legal" are full of crap. They are not legal in any way shape or form. If you (the global "you") had a shred of talent and made a song, wrote a book or otherwise developed an "idea" that was marketable, in this country it is copyrightable. Sharing MP3s is no more legal than making a photocopy of a book and distributing that. If you made a song or wrote a book that had a chance of selling, I'm sure you would agree.

I think the only long term solution is for companies to create an internet-based subscription model where we all pay a very reasonable fee, say $5 a month for a limited download, say 50 songs. Or other pricing models, whatever, I don't know. If the fee is reasonable, the majority of the people will be willing to go ahead and pay it instead of pirating. As soon as they get cocky and want to rape us again, guess what, the pirating continues en mass. In an odd way, pirating may indirectly cause a democratization of the product as we indirectly control its price and availability through illegal activity. Cool!

There is a fast way to send a message to companies that try to use these methods to protect their CDs. Get them in the wallet.

1) But the CD using your credit card
2) Attempt to play it on your Mac
3) When it fails, return the item to the store
4) Ask to speak to the manager and tell him because of copyright technology used on this CD, it will not work for you in your primary CD player, and fails to function as sold (i.e. Does not play music). Ask for a full refund.
5) (usually not needed) if he refuses to refund, leave the product with him and call your credit card company, and tell them to stop payment on that charge.

6) Ask your friends to repeat as needed, in as many stores as possible.

Eventually, the store will either a) not carry the product due to high number of returned items that may have to be sent back to the manufacturer or b) post a message telling customers "that this CD may not function in your CD player" and possible no refund will be offered because you were warned. This will keep people from buying it ( I wouldn't buy a product that might not work, and not be able to return it!)

When I worked at Borders we officially did not offer money back on opened Media. But to compete with stores that allow you to listen to any CD before you buy, we usually did if the customer persisted. Sadly, once the media were opened, they had to be returned to the manufacturer with a written explanation before we received a refund (and we couldn't sell it opened).

If the manufacturers sees that CDs are being returned fairly regularly they will get the message.

we burn 1 copy of our favorite cd that we've downloaded and put it in an envelope and send it to the record company. on the cd, we write the cd title and artist. in an enclosed letter, we put "this has been given to millions of people. you've lost all this money because you wouldn't listen to the consumers, so we had to go out and pirate them. you caused this. not us."

don't put your address, they may come take your computer... put the address of a fake organization like

People against the Recording Industry
1000000 Pirated CDs Lane
Your Country

it's something really simple that may not have an impact, but in theory, it could work.

I think the music industry is hurting themselves. If I hear a song on the radio and like, I go home and download two or three other songs of that group, and if i like it I go buy the CD. I didn't use to buy any CDs, but when I got the internet (and the ablity to d/l songs) I bought many CDs. I didn't want to just buy a one-hit-wonder CD with one good song and shitty others! Being able to download music helps me find what I like and who plays/sings it!! Go Internet!!

Basically, the Fair Use laws were made so that people wouldn't get thrown in jail for copying CDs and cassettes to another medium, at the time, the newly-affordable blank cassette tape. With the advent of the dual-deck cassette deck, which now is fairly standard, people started coying their albums en masse, and the record companies lost their shit over it. Congress stepped in, and basically set it up like this:

1. its ok to copy a CD that you bought for personal use onto another medium.
2. No attempt can be made to SELL said copies, otherwise you are infringing on copyright laws.
3. There was a VERY large tax put onto blank cassettes to compensate for this. At the time, it was about $1 per tape, which doesnt' sound like a lot, but it adds up and made it much less attractive of a solution.
4. Duplicating everying about the recording was in violation of copyright laws – i.e., the packaging, lyrics, etc. as the consumer would be trying to reproduce the "whole package" of what an album really is.

So right away, we run into some inconsistencies. First of all, its easier for most people to dub a copy of a CD onto cassette to swap with their friends. And cheaper, as the hardware to do so isn't nearly as expensive. Also, the rampant MP3 swapping that goes on in broadband networks isn't nearly as large as they'd like us to think. It is DWARFED by the amount of copies on cassette people make. As far as disc-to-disc copies go, this isn't complete piracy for a number of reasons. Here is an example:

I love Tool. I consider them to be, without question, the best rock band of the last 10 years, and I find their spiritual message and accompanying artwork to be every bit as valuable as their music.

When Too's recent album Lateralus came out, I couldn't afford to buy a copy. My cost of living went up, I ran into some other expensive things, and I couldn't justify spending money on a CD. I also missed out on buying discs from my other favorite artists, like Fantomas, Bjork, Tomahawk, and some others. My friend, who has a considerably greater amount of spending money than I do, bought these albums. I dubbed them all to MP3, and burned a disc-to-disc copy of Lateralus. I listened to them for months, griping about my financial situation and pledging that as soon as I had some extra money, I'd buy those records.

Guess what – I did. I bought them all. I wanted the artwork. I wanted the original CD. I wanted to support the bands, their labels, the manufacterers, because I believe that their music deserves my money. Did I bootleg and listen to their music before I had the money to buy it? Sure did. But I feel I made amends by purchasing it as soon as I could. And I surely don't feel like a criminal for doing so.

And the point remains that we ARE getting raped on prices, the artists ARE getting raped on royalties, and the record company execs DO have limos and airplanes and mansions, and most of us music-buying public are living hand to mouth and STILL spend our money on their product whenever we can.

I HATE BEING BILKED. And that is exactly what the record companies are trying to do. Bilk more money out of people that don't have that much to begin with.

And gee, if they lowered the cost of CDs, there would be more individually owned independant record stores, because the cost of entry into that business would go down dramatically. And that helps the artists that need it most – the ones that don't have the backing of MTV and corporate radio.

Perhaps it would also raise the bar on the types of music that get produced in this country. Instead of signing any talentless whore with a nice rack or falsetto-chirping incubi like the Backstreet Boys and their clones, we'd actually get REAL music made by REAL artists, and not the generic, bland, safe, and ultimately stupifying CRAP we're forced to listen to now.

I hate the music industry, can you tell? I almost became a musician but I wanted NOTHING to do with that dirty rotten business.

I haven't read this entire thread, but here's my take on this entire "Copy Protection"...

Yes I download MP3s from the 'net, in order to "try out" music. If it's a band or artist I like, or if I like most songs from that collection - then I go out and get the CD. And no I don't listen to radio or own a TV. :D

When I do buy or otherwise acquire a new CD, first thing I do before even playing it - is pop it into my Mac and rip the songs onto iTunes.

Now with the new "Copy Protection", yes there will be ways around it. They can cry and make a stink all they want - all they are doing is making themselves look like idiots!

One way I am getting around this (even though I have yet to get a "copy protected" cd), is I went into my storage locker and pulled out my old CD Player that was once part of a Stereo system I had, that with the cables that come with Adaptec/Roxio Easy CD Creator/Toast and Spin Doctor - I will still be able to rip any cd I have onto my MP3 Library! Sure it's an extra step, and yes it's going to take longer... But they are not going to stop me - nor thousands of people from doing it! And they have to accept it!

MP3s have been around before RIAA even realized it, they where around before Napster, and people where downloading them long before anyone even heard of Napster!

Ok, I'll get off my soap box now - I just had to get that off my chest! :)

-Serg

JonnyV:

While your 'try before you buy' policy is shared by many internet users, it does not at all help our economy. Not in the slightest.

If you instead waste $50 per year on cd's you sort-of-like, well, your $50 wouldn't do much, but if people would do that in general instead of downloading and testing it out, we would help out our economy, as well as the artests/publishing companies.

Imagine if you tried every single product you had ever purchased in your house *before* you put any money into it. I bet there are quite a few things you wouldn't have.

Like that shower radio that wasn't completely water proof. Or the thousands of wrist watches that busted in a month. And don't forget all those silly cell phone accessories for your car that are totally useless. And of course you've bought nasty food at resturants, vending machines, and fast food places.

All these things in your life, multiplied by a few million americans make up a substantial portion of our countries economy.

Bottom line, when consumers save money, our economy gets hurt. And when we waste money, our economy benifits.

Here's a close-to-heart example:

The admin on this site needs donations. Now, if each macosx.com / press3.com user decides to save $5 this year and not donate, poor admin begins to run out of money. But if each macosx.com / press3.com user spends $5, admin gets a nice $30 grand or so.

basically, it costs you $5, but it gains him $30k.

Its the same deal with our economy. If we each make a few stupid purchases (widgits, bad cd's (but not ones we can't use), and nasty McThisAndThat stuff), we can do the same for our economy.

Back