Copy Protected CD works in Mac OS X Panther

chemistry_geek

Registered
There's a new radio station in town called Q96.9 and I found them here:

http://www.q969.com/

It plays dance/electronic music, some of the music is actually very good. The radio station started playing a song called "Deepest Blue" by a group called "Deepest Blue". Don't bother looking on iTunes for it, it's not there.

You can purchase it on Amazon here:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/t...f=sr_1_1/102-4873343-3153752?v=glance&s=music

Anyway, I called up the radio station, told them that I really liked this song, but didn't know the name of the artist, but I knew some of the lyrics. I said it starts out "The sun will always shine on you" and the chorus is "you're my deepest blue". The radio DJ said the name of the group is "Deepest Blue". So I went to the record store, bought the only CD they had (not copy protected). When I arrived home and listened to the three tracks on the CD, the version I wanted was not there, so I went to Amazon.com and found the "Aussie" Australian version of the song I wanted. I bought it in January, Amazon said that due to high demand for the CD, the CD would not be shipped until the end on March. Well I got it early, and surprisingly, it's a copy protected CD that comes with "special" software to listen to it on your Mac or PC. When I inserted the CD, iTunes started up and a new Finder window opened indicating the folder for the software needed to listen to the CD.

The CD plays fine in iTunes WITHOUT any special software. I selected all four files, and dragged them to a folder on the desktop, the copy took FOREVER (25 minutes), but, the AIFF files play absolutely fine in iTunes, do not sound garbled or mangled. As of yet, I have not tried to make an MP3 of the songs. I'm just going to burn the AIFF files to a CD from iTunes so I can listen to a copy in the car.

Anyone know why the copy protection might NOT be working? This just pleasantly surprised me. The CD jacket states that Mac OS X 10.1 and higher are supported. Just selecting one of the four AIFF files on the CD allows me to listen to the songs without any problems. My computer is a Blue and White 500MHz G3 with 10.3.2.

Try using itunes to rip to an MP3 or AAC.

I found that with the.. Chili Peppers recent greatest hits album, it came up with an error and always had a skip 12 seconds into the song when i imported it on a winXP machine with itunes. i turned on the option to "use error correction" and it wasnt a problem. That was a copy protected CD too..

That's so weird! I was just listening to that song from the Ministry of Sound's 2004 Annual I bought in Australia!

It's nice to hear that OS X can play the CD without copy protection software.

-B

For the most part, the copy protection is based on how Windows reads CDs. MacOS X reads CDs differently than Windows or MacOS 9, and usually doesn't get fooled by the copy protection used on most copy protected CDs that will fool Windows or MacOS 9.

Back