copy protection on audio cds

Lt Major Burns

"Dicky" Charlteston-Burns
i have recently splashed out on real cds for a change, but i find that to my horror, copy protrection has got to the point where i can't make any use of these disks.

my computer is my hifi/vice versa. i have bought 3 usesless cds, that don't mount at all. disk utility shows them as being there, but doesn't give me the option to mount them. is there any way i can get these to work?

What CDs are they? There are several different corruption (er, "copy protection") schemes in use. I remember when this first cropped up, you could get around it by taking a black marker and drawing along the rim. (Go figure!) I'm not sure if that still works on the more modern methods.

Personally, I'd return them.

I had that problem with a Celine Dion CD (yes, sad old b*gger). I ended up playing the CD on a little "ghetto blaster" which fed a Griffin iMic adapter connected to my G4 USB port. I was able to transfer the individual tracks that way and the quality was "bearable" when transferred to my iPod.

(Bearing in mind that 64kbps is acceptable to my ears and that it was Celine Dion anyway, that probably doesn't say a lot for my method!)

If I'd had four CDs I'd definitely have asked for a refund.

k

thing is though, i want to listen to them, and they're not the most popular of cds...

UNKLEntertainment presents... Unklesounds: Edit music for a film
http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/B0007UT5TU/203-2314340-4723119

Fabriclive. 27 - DJ Format
http://www.boomkat.com/item.cfm?id=21380

although i didn't buy them from those retailers. the ironic thing is that i wouldn't had bought those albums if it wasn't for the fact that i illegally downloaded the music that got me in to them.... (which i have since bought anyway)

Well, see my reply above. Record them onto your Mac using a suitable CD player and interface. You can then import to iTunes and burn tracks onto CD. My CD player cost only 20 GBP (about 30 bucks). Less than the Griffin iMic.

right.

tested unkle in a cd player, it works.

tested an audio cd that has worked before in my powermac, it didn't work now.

tested unkle in my iBook, works, and is ripping now.... (very slowly)

can't think of any reason why the audio cd just won't mount. in sys prefs, it's set to open itunes on audio cd insert. the drive is fine for every other use, it;s a standard powermac rev b superdrive. i burned a RW this moring, and erased dvd-rw's yesterday...

Protected CDs normally have a label that states they won't play in a computer. Do yours have this label? If so then I'm not surprised you are having problems. If they don't give any indication of copy protection then they are probably not protected and your PowerMac probably just doesn't like them!

no, the problem is now in my mac, the cds are fine in my ibook, and no audio cds work in my powermac, sys prefs says audio cd's open itunes, but the disks just don't mount...

Back