Copying everything from old Hard drive to new hard drive on OSX G3

Big Max

Registered

The fun begins.....

I'm upgrading my Powermac G3 B&W with a serial ATA Hard drive and controller card. I want to copy the contents of the old drive to the new drive. I know that in the PC World Maxtor has a utility on a boot disk that allows you to format, partition, and copy the contents of the old drive to the new drive with no pain. Do any of you know of a Mac OS X based you utility that does the same? A Mac Tech buddy of mine tells me that I can copy everything over directly, but would have to do an Archive and Install to get everything up and going. System runs fine, all apps are working, and my system preferences are where I want them. I don't want to have to reinstall everything. Help me find another way??

Thanks,

Welcome !!!

You can not just copy over files in OS X. You would need Carbon Copy Cloner. It will copy all the invisible files that are needed. Then everything should be in tack.
Doing an archive and preserve would install a clean fresh install of the OS and keep all of your files and apps. Then you are insured that everything will run smoothly. There should be no need to install all of your programs and apps.

There is a trick - you have to have the drive formatted and if you use classic, you need to have the OS 9 drivers installed and format in HFS Extended.

Cheryl said:
Welcome !!!

You can not just copy over files in OS X. You would need Carbon Copy Cloner. It will copy all the invisible files that are needed. Then everything should be in tack.
Doing an archive and preserve would install a clean fresh install of the OS and keep all of your files and apps. Then you are insured that everything will run smoothly. There should be no need to install all of your programs and apps.

There is a trick - you have to have the drive formatted and if you use classic, you need to have the OS 9 drivers installed and format in HFS Extended.

Thanks Cheryl,

I managed to find Carbon Copy Cloner online at Macupdate.com. I'd rather not do the archive and preserve if I can use Carbon Copy Cloner to copy everything from the old disk to the new. I just need to format it to HFS Extended (which I was planning to do anyway). After formatting the new drive to HFS Extended( Using Disk Utility, right) and using Carbon Copy Cloner to copy everything over to the new drive I should be able to just set the new drive as the boot drive,boot right up and have everything work fine right?

Yes, that's right, but when using Carbon Copy Cloner, there is an option to make the cloned drive bootable, make sure you select that.

Excellent!!!

Thank you for all your help. I am a MUCH happier person since switching to my G3 B&W Powermac.

You're welcome. Come back anytime.

Just think of how happy you could be if you switched to a Dual G5 :)

Yea, A Dual G5 and Cinema display would make me happier,

But I'd rather have a Powerbook G4 to replace my Dell Laptop at this time. I neglected to mention that I was a PC guy for years until the lure of the mac took hold and it was actually playing around with a G5 and Panther at a local CompUSA that prompted me to find the fastest Mac Desktop I could afford at this time and install Panther. It's funny, but since installing Panther on my G3 B&W, my PC is gathering dust and relegated to duty as a Printer server, file server, and gaming machine (until my hardware upgrades on the G3 ;-)). I'm running out of desk space as it is, and the only PC I can do without and replace with another mac is my Laptop and THAT is going to be replaced by an iBook G4 around April (FOR MY BIRTHDAY- YAAAAAAY!!!)

I'll get a G5 eventually though, and be even happier cause then I'll have 3 MAC's

Back