Copying Files - Problems

charles1

Registered
Sometimes I'm copying video files (which are huge) and it gives me a warning message that there is a problem. When I say OK it stops! Instead of skipping that area and copying the rest of the files it just stops. Sometimes the copying process can take hours. That means I have to watch it on and off the whole time. Is there a better way of doing this?

More information needed. Is this from one folder to another? Across drives? Across a network?

If all else fails zip everything you want into one file and copy that across.

My first advice is to repair permissions. Open Disk Utility, and select your startup disk to get the option.

Aside from that, yeah, more info is needed. Where are the files located, and where are you trying to copy them?

Hope this helps.

'huge' is a non specific value. Reply with a numerical value (or overall range of numerical values) followed by 'KB', 'MB', 'GB' or even 'TB' (yes, that is terabyte).

'video files' is a non specific term. Reply stating whether the video files are personally created, and name the specific source [DV recording device's manufacturer and model number, commercial DVD(s) - provide the actual name of the DVD(s), etc.]

The source of the copying action was not stated - 'Mac, PC, external storage device, etc. Provide specific name and model number. Also, if a computer - the operating system on it.

The destination of the copying action was not stated - 'Mac, PC, external storage device, etc. Provide specific name and model number. Also, if a computer - the operating system on it.

The advice of zipping the files is probably out of question if he's really talking large amounts of large files.

One workaround is to select five files at a time and dragging them. This generates more than one copy process, and so if one fails the others will still go through. Still means you have to find out which ones are missing, though...

The question, however, is _why_ can't some of the files be copied. Read error? (Problem with the source.) Write error? (That's worse, isn't it...)

Back