Copying iTunes files to another user

DominikHoffmann

Registered
I have been trying to copy iTunes files from one user to another. I have come across these issues:

1) I have to log in as administrator and do a sudo chown and sudo chgrp to change ownership to the target user.

2) I don't know, where the play lists are stored. They don't seem to be in the iTunes Library file.

3) I don't know, where the collection of songs that iTunes came with, is located.

Dominik Hoffmann

1) I have to log in as administrator and do a sudo chown and sudo chgrp to change ownership to the target user.

To change all of your files' user and group, make sure they (and nothing else you don't want to change) are in the same directory, and execute:

chown -R user:group: /Directory/Name/

That will recursively change the owner, etc. for all of your files.

2) I don't know, where the play lists are stored. They don't seem to be in the iTunes Library file.

The playlists seem to be stored in the iTunes Music Library, stored in ~/Documents/iTunes. This file also lists all of the files in listed in iTunes...I'm not sure how easy it would be to just get the playlists...

my machine is more or less single user... when there's a remote connection, it's usually me... so I don't have much experience with multi-user environment and I'm not sure if this will help at all...

#1 put your music in a shared directory

put the music files where all the users who will use them can see. If you'd rather not have some users have access, I guess you can create a special group for the files, and change the group association, and permission for them.

put a link of the dir in ~/music, or if all the music will always be there, you can just remove ~/music and link the shared directory as ~/music (or change the iTunes preference for the music folder to that dir).

#2 if you share the library

move the ~/documents/iTunes/iTunes Music Library in a shared directory. change permission of the group.

put a link to the file (in the shared dir) in ~user/documents/iTunes/

#3 if you don't share the library

I guess you can just copy the file to ~anotheruser/documents/iTunes/
then change the ownership.

I haven't done this myself, and considering I'm not really willing to share my personal Mac with another person (and I live alone, too), I probably won't be trying to see if this works, or even applies to your situation.

I don't really see a problem, as long as nobody starts deleting files. If that happens, you probably need to move the files back to your personal space again.

Back