Copying one huge folder full of files to multiple DVDs or CDs

adambyte

Registered
I have a huge Final Cut video project... it's a folder with a lot of big video files, each of them a few hundred megs.... anyway... I'm done with it, but I'd still like to keep the information in the form of DVDs, in case I want to re-cut it some other time or whatever...

My problem is the folder is over 18 Gigabytes, and contains all sorts of video and audio files in a bunch of different folders.... I COULD make a tediously long list of files, and on what disks I put them.... and try to remember which ones I've copied already and which ones I haven't, but... Is there an easier way?

I suppose what I'm asking for is a copy utility that will copy the files to a few DVDs, then, when I want to, be able to put them back together and rebuild the file structure I had in the first place...

Any such burning utility that does this?

StuffIt can create segmented archives easily enough. But if you did that, it might be hard/impossible to get one file without expanding the whole 18 gigs (not sure; I haven't done extensive testing, and Allume's web site seems to list some relevant features that just don't work for me).

You can also segment dmgs, but the downsides to that are even greater: 1) you need all the segments present and in the same folder to mount it, and 2) you need to first create the dmg before you can segment it with a program like FreeDMG. *sigh*

I, too, would love a simple way to do this.

Hrm.... Thanks. I remember, back in the day (i.e. the days of floppies) I used to do this with Stuffit, and make multi-floppy things.

Hrm. Both solutions are only so-so. Solution #1 sounds easily-corruptable, considering the size of these things, and solution #2 requires more hard drive space.

lol. Where are those Blue-ray discs when i need them. Limited to 4.7 GB? C'mon, man! :D

There really just needs to be a program that does this... Copies whole folders, uncompressed, to a series of discs.. the cool part would be if it could arrange files just right so it takes the least amount of DVDs and CDs. I'm sure it wouldn't be TOO difficult to write, for the average programmer.

Anybody else? Beuller? Beuller?

Choose iDisk to backup files you change frequently, or choose Drive, CD or DVD for large files you want to archive. Backup even backs up to multiple CDs or DVDs to protect large document collections, such as your iPhoto library.

Well, hell! Look at that. Should I sign up for th 60-day trial, just so I can do this?

I don't know if you have access to Backup 2 without joining .Mac. But, if you do, then trying .Mac for 60 days just to use Backup 2 for a short period is fair game. After all, you might decide that .Mac, including Backup 2, is so good that you join up. Trying it, liking it, and joining is the point of the 60-day trial membership. You also might like .Mac mail. I only use mail and Backup 2 from .Mac. Well actually I have used my iDisk on occassion to put items on my "Homepage" so they will have URLs and to give others access to some things through my iDisk public folder.

a .Mac trial-account will only let you back up stuff to your iDisk, so if you want to get Backup 2 you're gonna have to sign up.. sorry.

alex.

I have some huge video files--ever thought of just backing them up to a firewire hard drive?

There are DVD's larger than 4.7, but they're normally used for feature film DVD's (I work a lot in this industry, and you get 5 and 9 GB DVD's with double sided, double-density and all that crazy stuff!)

:)

Back