Copying OSX contents to new drive-help?

daee

Registered
Ok, I'm upgrading my 333 Imac with a 7200 drive. I already have OSX and 9.2 running smoothly (well, as can be) but that 6 gig drive is getting cramped!

What I want to do is take out the hard drive, put it in my old faithful PowerComputing (which will has a ATA adapter and has the new drive formated already) and copy the entire drive contents over to the new drive, then put it the new drive into the Imac.

Can anyone suggest a program or way to make sure all the contents I need are copied over successfully so that it's bootable and running when I put it into the Imac?

Thanks
Josef

Does Carbon Copy Cloner REALLY REALLY work? I went through this same kind of pain a few months ago, and after toying with all kinds of posts on various unix based methods for copying files and directories with permissions intact, I found just installing a new system and my software to be a lot less hassle than I thought it would be. Please consider it.

Some times a short cut isn't a short cut! This ain't like the old days when you could copy a OS 9 system folder anywhere you wanted, but hey, you don't really need to now (unless you are in your position of a new drive) - I can't tell you how many times I backed up and reused system folders in OS 9 when some mystery crash occured. I once had a system file that was 1.3 GB! I don't miss those days at all!

Carbon Copy Cloner works quite well. I use it weekly to ack up my HD to an external FW drive, boot from the FW drive to run TTPro, Drive 10 and Disk Warrior from it to repair/maintain my internal drive. I recommend it wholeheartedly.:D

I'm still working on it. The problem with Carbon Cloner is you have to have the extra hard drive space to create the copy. I networked my two macs and am using Timbuktu to transfer files to the old guy, then I'm going to CC the system. We'll see.

Launch the terminal.
Type:
ditto -V -rsrc /Volumes/drive1 /Volumes/drive2
[Replace 'drive1' with the source volume name, replace 'drive2' with the destination volume name. Use quotes where appropriate to escape spaces in the volume names.]

It may take a while to complete , but it will return a verbose progress report as it copies the contents of drive1 to drive2.

The apple software restore software can be used to move your data easily. All you have to do is get a recent copy of Apple Software Restore (I can provide it via email or a download link). Create an os 9.x bootable CD with ASR on it. Then drag your old HD to the ASR application it will launch with options for restoring your files to a destination drive of your choice. I also have a disk image with instructions on how to make your own Restore CD's with all your software installed. This is a simple and FREE method of transfering your data.

PsyncX (available from VersionTracker) seems to work better than CCC. Just my opinion. (Note: I wrote PsyncX, but only because I really liked the way psync, the app that PsyncX is based on, works)

David

Hey David - I'd like to use your software, but $99 seems kind of steep IMO and the 10 MB limit on the demo doesn't suit my needs - I am copying entire systems and would liek to see how this works.

I mean, once you write is it doesn't cost you anything to reproduce it right? Though I may be wrong, it seems like you might make more overall $ in sales by pricing it lower - more people might buy it. How about different levels - a cheapy version with limited features and a higher priced version with more features that once your cheapy users know what they are missing, they will just have to have it (I'm a big sucker for this approach). I read "Information Rules" in grad school and it presents all kinds of ideas like this in marketing and pricing software. http://www.inforules.com/

CCC only seems to copy an entire system with no problems when copying to freshly formatted partition. Whenever I try to update an existing system copy is when CCC fails me. I have many drives so I can do wipe out various partitions when I want to, but I'm sure the average user can't always do this.

Who said anything about $99? It's free! :) Of course, if you want to send me $99 for it, that is fine too! :)

God I am such a dork - I did the version tracker search on "PsyncX" and I must have clicked one of the paid or add links or something listed above the search results, or maybe I was in another OS - I don't know, obviously I wasn't paying attention. It was some kind of synch software - I thought it was yours and it did cost $99 and have a demo with a 10 MB limit on folder copies...

Any way, I'm really sorry if I offended you and/or your obviously generous efforts! Do you want me to delete or edit my original post or leave this to show everyone what I moron I am?

:D

No, you're fine. I just couldn't understand where you came up with that price! :) I hope you enjoy the software.

David

P.S. I'm not the only person giving away software. If Dan Kogai (the guy who wrote psync) wasn't giving psync away, I wouldn't be giving PsyncX away as I would have had nothing to build on! :)

Back