corba under mac os x

Patrick Walser

Registered
I have just started programming corba. And I'm not very long a mac user. So could somebody tell me how to launch the orbd in the terminal. To follow a tutorial (for windows) I should simple execute the following line.
start orbd -ORBInitialPort 1050 -ORBInitialHost localhost
I know that in Unix you do not need the start, but I'm still not able to launch the orbd. Maybe it's a very stupid question but I'm not into Unix so much until now. Would be cool if somebody could help me

What error are you getting? Is orbd in your path? If it is in the current directory, don't forget to prefix it with ./

./orbd -ORBIni..........

The equivilent to 'start' is end the command with an ampersand '&'. This will create a new process for the orb (vs running it in your shell process).

If I try it with
./ orbd -ORBIni...
I get permission denied, even if I do sudo before. Is the ./ really necessary? I am able to run javac, rmic and so on with out in. Only the orbd I'm not able to launch.

finally it all makes sense and works. Man sitting to long in front of a computer is really making you nuts. Sure no spaces. Thanks for the help. It's really a cool forum. Even if I'm located in Austria Europe I can find people to help me with my problems.
Thanks.

Back