Cordless Mouse - How does it affect iBook battery life?

One Sick Puppy

Registered
Apple recommends disconnecting USB devices to conserve battery life. Any idea how much time a wireless mouse is gonna suck out of my battery? I'm looking at Logitech's Wireless Notebook mouse in particular.

Thanks!

It depends largely on the power management capabilities of the mouse. Some, like my Microsoft Intellieye Explorer V2, have an auto power down mode, while others have to be switched off. If I'm correct in my thinking, most of the power is provided by the batteries in the mouse itself (the transmitter), so the receiver connected to your computer doesn't need as much juice.

I bought Apple's wireless mouse and I am very disappointed on how quickly the batteries are drained. It did not seem to affect my powerbook at all but for what I paid for the thing it would have been cheaper and more usefull to have a wired mouse.
It have pretty good range but how often do you use it more than an arm length away. Of all the accessories I have bought for mac the wireless mouse is the most useless. I only got it because I had a $30 dollar credit with the Apple store I had to use.

Calliex

I have an IOGEAR wireless mouse and get a little over three hours with it in use.

callieX said:
I bought Apple's wireless mouse and I am very disappointed on how quickly the batteries are drained. It did not seem to affect my powerbook at all but for what I paid for the thing it would have been cheaper and more usefull to have a wired mouse.
It have pretty good range but how often do you use it more than an arm length away. Of all the accessories I have bought for mac the wireless mouse is the most useless. I only got it because I had a $30 dollar credit with the Apple store I had to use.

Calliex

My original batteries (those blue Energizer ones) that came with the mouse lasted almost 2 months with frequent use. I replaced them with Duracell(sp?) and they lasted a month with the same amount of use. I can put up with it though because I hate the wireless USB dongles sticking out of the laptop. I just would like a bluetooth mouse with 2 buttons and a wheel that looks like the Apple mouse. :D (Waiting for the MacMice one.)

I don't notice any difference in PowerBook life with the bluetooth on or off... but my battery is getting replaced because it isn't reliable anyway.

Hopefully, apple will sell an electrified desktop pad that way no more juice when sitting on my desk. Any one knows if those ipads or whatever work on apple products.

Back