Correct screen saver password not recognized

Fjoesnisse

Registered
I am having an intermittent problem with getting my Mac to recognize my screen saver password. I enter the correct username/password combination, but am thrown back to "Sorry, you entered an invalid username or password". I double-check that I'm using the right keyboard layout, and that all the keys work, and that caps lock is off - to no avail. Only solution is a hard reboot - password is recognized at the login screen then. I'm fsck-ing and repairing permissions all the time. System is 10.3.9.

Any ideas on what might cause this behaviour?

Thx for your help!

Are you sure the Keyboard is with the desired layout? I mean, did you check by typing for example QWERTY in the user field in the login window?
Otherwise, try checking the keyboard layout in Root user.
On one of our macs, it was set to Belgium (which has AZERTY KB) and in the login window it was always like that, even though it was set to Portugal in every other user. I changed it in root user and it was corrected.

Esquilinho said:
Are you sure the Keyboard is with the desired layout?.

Yes, as I said, I double checked that the keyboard layout is correct and working properly and the caps lock is not down etc. I can type my password in the user fld no prob.
The issue has meanwhile expanded: On two occasions, I've had the system 'forgetting' my admin password while the screen saver was not running, so that I can no longer authenticate to any process that demands it. Restarting solves the problem, but only temporarily.

Perhaps related, I am also getting occasional DirectoryService crashes recently, and don't know why. They do not necessarily occur at the same time that the password is forgotten, or at least I have not been able to establish a firm connection. But maybe there is one.

I have run Disk Utility from the system install disk, repaired permissions etc etc, but still get those problems.

Any further help?

Thank you!

Hm.. do you have only normal (a-z) letters and numbers in your password, or does it contain any specialties too, such as åäöø$ñãõ#&* and so on?

Directory services crashing sounds indeed odd.

Giaguara said:
Hm.. do you have only normal (a-z) letters and numbers in your password, or does it contain any specialties too, such as åäöø$ñãõ#&* and so on?

My password contains only a-z chars and numbers.

Thank you for any further help.

This is very strange because this is what is happening to my machine. I've been using my password to get past the screen saver for about 18 months with no problem and then about a month back I started having problems. First I couldn't get Creative Suite to start which I removed and then a week later I started to have problems with my password. I only use characters and haven't changed anything else recently that I can think of with the exception of adding an Epson Printer and its drivers.

Please, please can anybody help?

(Using OSX 10.3.9 on a G5)

Back