Corrupt directory wont die!

nufu

Registered
I seem to have a corrupt directory on my drive, I can shift it to the trash but can't empty or access it. If I try to get into it then Finder will just freeze.

Tried removing it from the Terminal, but i am sort of winging it as I have no idea how to use it. :confused:

How can you delete a folder without going into it and deleting the contents? This is what I have been getting.

Corrupted dir is called S in the /dead dir.

squeakys-imac-g5:/users/squeakybadger/files/newsy/dead
Squeakybadger$ rm -ri s
examine files in directory s? y
remove s? y
rm: s: Directory not empty

any ideas?

cheers :D

normally its "rm -rf" as that removes all files in the target directory as well as the directory itself. This won't ask for confirmation though.

To understand rm and other commands use the 'man' command, which gives you a manual for many shell bits n pieces. So, "man rm" will tell you all about the rm command.

ora

If you give the command "rm -ri <whatever-you-want-to-delete>", it will prompt you if you want to delete it.

the file thats hurting you is probably the .DS_Store file.

cd to the directory, and then run sudo rm *

but make sure you're in the directory first!!!!!!1

otherwise this deletes your hard drive.

Another possibility is: /directory/*

Cheers!

nufu said:
I seem to have a corrupt directory on my drive, I can shift it to the trash but can't empty or access it. If I try to get into it then Finder will just freeze.

Tried removing it from the Terminal, but i am sort of winging it as I have no idea how to use it. :confused:

How can you delete a folder without going into it and deleting the contents? This is what I have been getting.

Corrupted dir is called S in the /dead dir.

any ideas?

cheers :D

Have you run Disk Utility on your disk? With new Tiger (10.4.3) you can
click "Verify Disk" and "Repair Disk" even on the boot disk. Also Repair
Disk Permissions could help.

Back