Corrupted External Drive

Gnomo

Registered
A couple days ago while I was working on my desktop computer (PPC G4), Time Machine popped up a message that the backup attempt had failed. When I opened the console to determine what the problem was, I saw these error messages (repeated several times)

Code:
Error: (5) getxattr for key:com.apple.backupd.SnapshotStartDate path:/Volumes/BackupDrive/Backups.backupdb/Desktop/2008-07-19-135935

-and-

Desktop kernel[0]: HFS resolvelink: can't find dir_859181

I tried running fsck on the drive from my desktop and it refuses to fix the errors (invalid sibling link). However, if I connect the drive to my macbook fsck has no problem repairing the drive. But when I plug it back into my desktop the errors magically return.

I've also tried running Disk Warrior on the drive. When I run DW from my macbook it successfully rebuilds the catalog/directory/whatever (but the errors still magically persist when I plug it back into my desktop). When I try running DW from my desktop (booted from CD or not) it fails claiming there was a hardware malfunction, but as far as I can tell the hardware is fine.

Any ideas on why my PPC G4 seams to think this drive is full of errors, and my Intel MacBook keeps telling me that I've fixed them? Any Solutions?

If at all possible, I'd prefer not to have to reformat the drive as it has several months of backup data on it from all of my macs. If it makes any difference the drive is a GUID Partition Table.

Back