Couple of Mac OS X Server questions.

PowerBookDude

Registered
Is it possible in Mac OS X Server to have like sub-domains? Like friendssite.mainsite.com or www.mainsite.com/friendssite . So let's say your friend Bob can log on via FTP or what ever and be able to access JUST his' site's files and update them and etc without touching the main site files or other sub-domains?

Also if Bob's user name was bobr the address (like friendsite) for the site would be like bobr.mainsite.com or www.mainsite.com/bobr or what ever right or can it be different?

And I read that you should do a clean install of Mac OS X Server when you install it correct? That means I lose Classic right?

Thank you VERY much!


PBDude
 

bdcorbin

Registered
Yes there is a way to do what you are saying in Mac OS X Server. In the older versions like 1.0 and 2.0 you have to do it either by the Apache Preference files or in the terminal. But in Mac OS X Server 10.0, they made it all graphical. It's a heck of a lot easier.

You can also make it so that only certain users can get to certain sites and update them without effecting the main one like you were saying. It involves the permissions aspect of OSX Server under the general tab. Now we are just starting to really get into this. So we are still learing as we get deeper into it. But as soon as I understand even more on it, I'll post it here.

Brian
 

PowerBookDude

Registered
Originally posted by bdcorbin
Yes there is a way to do what you are saying in Mac OS X Server. In the older versions like 1.0 and 2.0 you have to do it either by the Apache Preference files or in the terminal. But in Mac OS X Server 10.0, they made it all graphical. It's a heck of a lot easier.

You can also make it so that only certain users can get to certain sites and update them without effecting the main one like you were saying. It involves the permissions aspect of OSX Server under the general tab. Now we are just starting to really get into this. So we are still learing as we get deeper into it. But as soon as I understand even more on it, I'll post it here.

Brian
THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

What about Classic?

Thanks again!

PBDude
 

PowerBookDude

Registered
I just thought of something else important.

I'm sure you can do this but here it is. Can you limit the space for a user? Like could I give a user 50MBs of space and the user can use that space for both files and his/her site?


Also can the user pick the address for his site like myfansite.mainsite.com (or whatever) or is it his user name on the server (and same thing for mail)?

Thanks!

PBDude
 

bdcorbin

Registered
Hey man.

Let's see if I can get caught up on some of these questions. When you install the new version of OSX Server 10.0 you need to do it from scratch. Also classic does not get installed. So you would have to have an OS9 CD and install it to get classic to work.

As for limiting the the drive space for a user, I know for sure that if you are using the Mac Manager system, you can. But if you are trying to limit it with just straight Appleshare, we are working on that one ourselves. We have people internaly in Apple working on that one for us. From what we are hearing is that it should be possible. I'm sure it's nothing but a setting that they haven't made graphical yet. As soon as I know, I'll post it and let you know.

As for the mail and web thing. The web part we are still playing with. From what I think I'm seeing is that you can change the name of the user site to whatever you want. But don't quote me on that. We still need to play with that part of it.

As for mail, we are not using that part of OSX Server. We have an Exchange server that does our e-mail. But my boss is telling me we might start using that Mail feature in OSX soon in the future. So I can't help you there. Sorry. I hope this answers some of your questions though.

Brian
 

PowerBookDude

Registered
Originally posted by bdcorbin
As for limiting the the drive space for a user, I know for sure that if you are using the Mac Manager system, you can. But if you are trying to limit it with just straight Appleshare, we are working on that one ourselves. We have people internaly in Apple working on that one for us. From what we are hearing is that it should be possible. I'm sure it's nothing but a setting that they haven't made graphical yet. As soon as I know, I'll post it and let you know.
Thank you for answering my other questions.

I'm not planning on using Mac Manager. That is desgined for schools and the workplace correct? Could you please explain how Mac Manger works and what it is used for? Most users will remotely login and update their web site thats about it and for a couple users I want to give them 10 MBs others 20 and some 50.

Thank you!
 

PowerBookDude

Registered
So by installing Mac OS X is gets rid of everything on the drive. So I will be installing Classic on a HD. Is the only way to get Mac OS X apps the come with an OS X install is to install OS X client also on the HD (or different drive, what ever)?


Thanks!


PBDude
 

PowerBookDude

Registered
Originally posted by bdcorbin
Most of those Apps in the client come in OSX Server. Which ones are you talking about?

Brian

Any of them. Does any app that comes with the client not come with OS X Server? What about Image Capture?


Also I got another question. What about iDVD 2? I read in MacAddict (Oct 2001) that it will be an $19.95 upgrade for iDVD 1.x.x owners. Can I still get it? I mean I won't have it as OS X Server will wipe the drive during install. But I want iDVD as I the tower will have a SuperDrive.


Thanks!

PBDude
 

PowerBookDude

Registered
Ok, could someone PLEASEp answer this question.

When you want to create an acount on OS X Server does it make a Home directory for it if so can you tell it not too? See all I want is to be able to login from OS X client or OS 9 and use there home directory and not one from the OS X Server box.

Is that possible?


Thank you VERY much!


PBDude
 

bdcorbin

Registered
Hey PowerBookDude,

To answer your question, yes it does create a home directory on the server. But if you want to turn that feature off or point the server to the home directory of another server, you can do that also. Under the Server Admin, click on the Users & Groups Micon and select Home Directory Defaults. Once you are there, that is where you can change the defaults for all user home directories as the users are created.

Make sure that if the user is going to be loging into that server as an admin at the server computer, they need to have a home directory on the server. If you don't, you won't be able to access anyting on the server. It's a bad thing. But if it's a users who will be just doing work with the server from another computer, then you don't need them to have a home directory. Hope that helps.

Brian
 

PowerBookDude

Registered
Originally posted by bdcorbin
Make sure that if the user is going to be loging into that server as an admin at the server computer, they need to have a home directory on the server. If you don't, you won't be able to access anyting on the server. It's a bad thing. But if it's a users who will be just doing work with the server from another computer, then you don't need them to have a home directory. Hope that helps.

Thank you so much!

I have a question about what you said.

If the admin's name on the server is John Doe and if he trys to log in from his laptop running X client can he just use the home directory on the server?

Actually, forget that.


Ok, here this is what I want. I want people that log in either from the LAN or over the Interent to just get there allowed space. No apps just files they want to keep on the server. Also being their web site which is apart of there allowed space.

Boy...I need to call Apple.


Thanks!
 
Top