Couple OS X Questions

loom001

Registered
1. What is the best book to use when learing OS X?
2. How can I see how much memory my mac is seeing?
3. How do I get to a terminal window?

Thanks in advance for any help!

1) do an amazon search any book will most likely be a good book but if you really want a NICE book look for something in the O'Reilly line

2) your mac is using all of your memory but in the terminal type top and it will tel you it next to the PhysMem line

3) HD/Applications/Utilities Terminal

yes, and iTunes has an automatic music CD burner too. Buy a Superdrive mac, and you get iDVD!

Just go under the apple to about this mac, then click on more info.

Also if you have a burner in your mac you can burn. Just put in a cd, drag and drop the files on the cd icon, and then right click and burn. Something like that. I don't use it because i find it horribly stupid. Roxio Toast is a much better program.

Originally posted by twister

Just go under the apple to about this mac, then click on more info.

Also if you have a burner in your mac you can burn. Just put in a cd, drag and drop the files on the cd icon, and then right click and burn. Something like that. I don't use it because i find it horribly stupid. Roxio Toast is a much better program.

Thank you that is exactly what I was looking for!

Are there any good free FTp programs to use?

Is there a good online chat room to meet up with mac people like on IRC? Also is there a good IRC client for mac?

Is it possible to have a network display on the screen. Looking for something that is like windows XP little network leds in the lower right conner so you can see network activity?

Thanks!

free ftp? Go for RBrowserLite. I like that. You'll also want to go to http://www.versiontracker.com/ It has loads of freeware, shareware, and about any software you'll need for your mac. Including loads of IRC clients and probably some network status things.

Originally posted by loom001
Are there any good free FTp programs to use?
Transmit. Definitely.
Is it possible to have a network display on the screen. Looking for something that is like windows XP little network leds in the lower right conner so you can see network activity?
In OS X, if you connect through Ethernet, an icon will appear in the menu bar looking something like this: <•••>. If you are connected, the three dots (smaller than that but what can you do in ASCII) will be black ( <•••> ), and if you are not they will be gray ( <•••> ). It's subtle, but it can be effective if you know what to look for.

Is this what you are talking about?

If you are a student or work for an educational institution your qualify for a free copy of Fetch. Also I do not know of anyway to get the network icon on the menu bar with out a haxie.

Back