Coursey's take on .Mac

edX

mac shaman
click here to read how David Coursey interprets the new price tag on .mac services. if he is right, i'm more than willing to pay the $100 a year. and the price for jaguar.

i won't eat as well, but hey...:D

Is that because of Coursey's interpretation of this strategy heralding an end to Apple's reliance on MicroSloth for Office? Or something else?

yes homer. getting out of such a close relationship with m$ is reason enough for me!!

Getting rid of:
- my.yahoo.com account (was about to pay for the advanced features)
- PDA (dead)

Refused to use:
- M$ Entourage

Getting:
- .Mac Account
- Jaguar
- iPod (10 Gb)

Total: $577.99 (plus tax and shipping if applicable)

That will make me one heck of a lot happier Mac Geek! Every penny of that seems like a penny well spent to me! :)

And not to mention I'll be buying a "book" (i or Power) sometime in the future. :)

I shudder to think of even spending $150 to buy Windows XP for my PC... Not to mention it needs a new MoBo and RAM... Blah! :p

:)

Well, subscribing to .mac doesn't directly help Apple getting rid of those Microsoft deals. I haven't read the column, but if there *is* a connection, it's very indirect. I'll buy AppleWorks 7 if that will help Apple to find a way to make Office v. X obsolete, I'll use OpenOffice.org, if that ever becomes a viable solution and I'll keep on surfing with OmniWeb and/or Mozilla, depending on their respective developments.

You know, we get all of this stuff free right now. Why would you want to pay for something you get free?! And $100 at that! I know I enjoy the mac.com email address I have, as opposed to M$ Hotmail, which gives you only enough space to say hello to your grandma, and I can easily do everything I want to do with the 5mb I have right now from Mac. Really though, you guys who are willing to pay $99 for email, will you REALLY use all of that email space? Do you really need it?? If you do, then you might want to consider stepping away from the computer for a sec and play some frisbee or something outside. I love my Mac, and I'm as loyal as they come, but I think the money we pay for our Mac equipment is expensive enough without having to pay for email, as a matter of fact I think it qualifies us for at the least free email. As for the whole Apple-trying-to-rid-itself-of-Microsoft thing, I think that Apple knows that dealing with your competitors and not allowing yourself to become FULLY independent is a good thing. I use both AppleWorks and, yes, Office X.
Oh, and I am buying OS X 10.2 to upgrade, but, if you're a college student, check out the educational price of $69, not a whopping $129, which is ridiculous.
733 PowerMac G4, 640MB RAM , Mac OS X 10.5, and a bunch of other really cool sh*t.

It's well worth it if you need it. Like they say on their web site, the total package would add up to $250 or something but for just 99$ you get everything you could possibly need. Problem being that nobody needs everything they could possibly need.

$99 is too much for just an email but it's a steal for virus software and hoards of web space. Apple simply changed the demographic which is why everyone is up in arms. They almost put something as simple as an email address and home website into the business range. Why would a business need a .mac address anyway? Why would a home user pay $99 per month? .mac == iTools pro. but but even MS knows that you sell a pro version and a home version 'cause it sells better that way.

Just my brace of coins worth less than all others.

Originally posted by Koelling
Why would a business need a .mac address anyway? Why would a home user pay $99 per month? .mac == iTools pro.

HUH??? PER MONTH!!!??? That's either a Typo or you Misread that! It's PER YEAR!
People would be INSANE to pay 100 a month for .mac! I can host a couple of my own servers for that price (oh wait, I get that for free, but that's a different story! lol).

:p

What stood out most to me in that article are these three paragraphs.

"DO THE MATH: What Steve told the faithful is that over the next two months--with the Aug. 24 ship date for OS X 10.2 and the Sept. 30 shutdown of iTools in favor of .Mac--it will cost somewhere around $200 to remain a MacHead in good standing.

That's a lot of potential revenue for Apple, especially when you consider that .Mac is meant to be a platform for offering paid services to the Macintosh community. Can downloadable pay-for-play music be far behind? What else does Cupertino have up its sleeve?

Apple execs point out that paying $129 for the "new" OS means that each of the 150 "major innovations" included cost less than $1 apiece. A skeptic would also point out that some of the "innovations" are things painfully absent from earlier releases and more along the lines of finishing the work of making OS X a complete operating system.
"

Most notable is where does Apple intend to draw the line on taxing it's userbase so heavily to use it's own software? Can we expect to have to bite the bullet on future "upgrades" and newly introduced services that are often introduced on other platforms for free and remain just that.

Even the most Mac faithfuls were silent at MWNY when Jobs announced .mac. That certainly speaks volumes to me.

To me iTools the way it is should remain free and .mac should be an upgrade users have a choice about. It's not fair that Apple put the squeeze on their users this way.

As for the $129 Jaguar price, that doesn't really concern me. Yes, it is rather pricey for an "upgrade" but Jaguar seems much more than just an upgrade to me. A good point was made in that many of the features going into Jaguar more or less round out what should have been in OS X since the begining and what many certainly paid for in 10.0 but never received.

Since 10.1 was esentially free, I can understand Apple not wanting to go almost 2 years without making any money off their software. Their hardware is becoming more inline pricewise with the competition so that is a very nice thing as well.

All in all Mac users who rely heavily on Apple's software and services should be concerned. If this is a new trend at Apple, offering upgrades and services for free only to start charging exorbitant fees in the long run, operating a Mac could become a lot more costly, especially over time.

If Microsoft really wanted to put the screws to Apple, they would offer similiar services to .mac for free which in a way they already do and point out that their upgrades/service packs are free as well.

Apple is certainly in no position to lose Microsoft support just yet. You have to realize, even on a Mac, many rely on Microsoft and don't hold the same dislike for the company as many users here do. If their MS software support was terminated, many Mac users might be forced to find an alternative in a PC running Windows.

Geting rid of:
iTools/.mac

Getting: Jaguar

.mac, I just don't need. It is useless except for email, but I'm not paying 100 bucks a year.

Jaguar is a great deal. tons of new features, lots of speed, etc. and I like to have the newest OS possible at all times :)

EDIT: sorry, I accidentally wrote 100 bucks a month, rather than per year. it seems to be a common mistake. I think 8.33 per month sounds better than 100 bucks a year, don't you?

Originally posted by xaqintosh
Geting rid of:
iTools/.mac

Getting: Jaguar

.mac, I just don't need. It is useless except for email, but I'm not paying 100 bucks a month.

Jaguar is a great deal. tons of new features, lots of speed, etc. and I like to have the newest OS possible at all times :)

Another $100 a MONTH! Where are you people getting this price from??? .Mac is NOT $100 a MONTH, it's $100 a YEAR!!! $8.33 a month! And if you already have an iTools account it's $49 for the first year, $4.08 a month!

This is the second time I see someone saying 100$ a Month, where are you people getting that price from? Shesh! :p

...with yahoo and hotmail email services? Personally I find them slow (especially hotmail...), with TOO much ads and keep in mind that yahoo stopped giving us pop access a long time ago ;(

Don't forget also that you have to pay to get extra storage (they offer up to 6mb for "free") whereareas Apple give us 15mb ;(

Also, if you don't use outlook/entourage you DON'T get access via your email app even on hotmail ;)

Also, their navigation while in a browser sucks EVEN with yahoo's somewhat new beta navigation system which is of course better than their old one and hotmail's too! Apple's WebMail is SO clean and fast and makes even non-experienced users start using it immediately! ;)

As for .Mac WORTH (and not cost) being $100 per year, to me seems that it is actually $50 for the first year, then $100 for the next ones... Also, DON'T forget that what Apple offers it functions with your OS (mostly jaguar that is) as one! Also, take note that what you get DOESN'T include ads which is standard between yahoo and hotmail services which ALL of you saying that you get free not considering the ads that pop up here and there all the time! Free services my behind ;)

Here is an idea: Instead of asking Apple to give you .Mac for free, if you prefer the ads system of yahoo, hotmail, etc, write to Apple saying that you prefer the ads instead of paid service and see what happens! I've seen MANY people and not only on this forum saying that up until now they were getting iTools for free. True. But NOT .Mac services! They were getting what was somewhat a part of what .Mac is now or even better will be... However, Jobs at NY MacWorld said it better: The world is changing, M$ and other companies charge for similar services and other companies closed their doors because of their Free similar offerings. So, Apple HAS to take money for .Mac if actually we want it to exist... (Well actually he didn't say EXACTLY these words but you got the point) :D

To mee, only the idea of NOT needing other services to get work done and all this having not to point my browser here and there, back and forth all the time, seeing all those ads and pop-up windows, etc, I say this: Jaguar + .Mac = WORTH what Apple asks for and maybe even more!

WORTH, WORTH, WORTH and not COST, COST, COST for .Mac and Jaguar :D

About iDisk: is not only handy when you need to use internet storage but you also get loads of utilities, demos, patches, etc. from the same access point instead of browsing Apple downloads, Cnet downloads, Versiotracker, etc. Also, have you seen any easier method for uploading/downloading files? Full drag'n'drop support via the Finder!

One final thing: Jobs himself said that .Mac will offer MORE services in the not so distant future and it is more likely that this will happen without the need of paying more (other than the $50 or $100). At least they will be free if most of us, the Mac consumers, will support .Mac! What do you except guys? M$ consumers to support .Mac? Come on! :D

Well I signed up for .mac. I figure for $50 I will try it for a year. I do not think it is worth it just email though. I do not have a place to host a web site so I will give it a try for year and see how much I really use it. One thing I know there isn't too much in this world that is free. All business try to lock you in with so called free promotions. Free HB0 for six months, computer consultants that hang out at user's groups giving free advice; sooner or later you have to pay for HBO and the computer consultant will start to charge for it. The idea is to get use to it so when they start to charge for it you will just blindly pay them. After all Apple is a company that is in business to make money.

As far as Jaguar is concerned I will pay the $129. There are features there I would like to have. Also programmers cost money. I figure since 1986 I really haven't had to buy that many OS's for my Mac. At least not like the Window people. I feel Apple has for the most part shipped quality products. We are besieged with service pak after service pak.

calliex

Back