Cover Art

GroundZeroX

Searching for logic
When I add cover art to my AAC files, my iPod updates those songs. Is the song being added to the file? If it does, does the size of typical cover art signficantly affect the size of my AAC files?

I noticed that, too. And yep, it seems like that either the picture or a link to the picture is added to the file itself. However: Either would only create a small overhead. 10, 15 maybe 50 KB at the max.

the art is added to each file, and i've seen between 50 and 100kb added to most files. i can see why they would want to do this (the cover art will always be part of the file, not just some link on your local drive)... but i don't want to waste space on my iPod.

it's a tough decision - take advantage of a cool feature of iTunes, or compromise the # of songs on my iPod?

Originally posted by wtmcgee
...or compromise the # of songs on my iPod?

Look at it this way; at 50K for each cover, it will take 80 covers before you have to give up one 4MB song. I don't think that's significant. My library is 2250 songs. If I put an album cover on each, I could only fit 2221 songs in the same space.

I think this "cover art" thing is such a joke. I hate how apple is trying to push this as if its some big benefit.

Big deal just the cover picture. The liner notes and inside booklet art are way more important then some little 15k jpg that apple gives you. Can't do anything with it anyway.

It just gets me that Apple attempts to say this is actually a "benefit" hahah.

i think the filesizes are bigger than that. for each album, i'm usually losing around 2-2.5mb by adding cover art (most cd's are somewhere between 10-15 songs).

not a huge deal, but it DOES add up.

Originally posted by chabig
Look at it this way; at 50K for each cover, it will take 80 covers before you have to give up one 4MB song. I don't think that's significant. My library is 2250 songs. If I put an album cover on each, I could only fit 2221 songs in the same space.

i'm usually losing around 2-2.5mb by adding cover art

It all depends on the size of the picture you put in the file. I've been using Watson to get pictures from Amazon.com. Those pictures are about 50K each.

Originally posted by Dime5150
I think this "cover art" thing is such a joke. I hate how apple is trying to push this as if its some big benefit.

Big deal just the cover picture. The liner notes and inside booklet art are way more important then some little 15k jpg that apple gives you. Can't do anything with it anyway.

It just gets me that Apple attempts to say this is actually a "benefit" hahah.

of course it would be nice to get the liner notes -- be sure that it'll happen one day, but first those that CREATE liner notes have to make them available in a format that online services can use.

besides -- many (most?) CDs don't have lyrics, but are art pieces instead.

Originally posted by Hobeaux
of course it would be nice to get the liner notes -- be sure that it'll happen one day, but first those that CREATE liner notes have to make them available in a format that online services can use.

besides -- many (most?) CDs don't have lyrics, but are art pieces instead.

Yea. Thats what i'm missing. I like looking at the art. Right now a simple cover image does nothing for me.

Back