"CPU Halted" Mac won't boot up

thekevinscott

Registered
Hey all.

I have a powerbook, it's about 2 years old, and recently it's been acting up strangely.

About two weeks ago, I got the gray overlay screen telling me I to shut down the computer immediately. I did that, and it wouldn't boot up, letting the circular thing go round and round.

I booted it up in target mode and tried to repair the hard drive with disk utility (on another mac I have) but it wouldn't even let me do that. I was finally able to get the computer to boot up by going into single user mode, executing the commands it told me to, and then booting up that way.

Since then, it's worked, but very recently the powerbook started telling me to close programs, as the startup disk was full. However, I had 5 gigs available, so I wasn't really sure what was going on.

I left it for about an hour, came back, and the gray overlay screen was back.

Now the thing won't even stay on - when it gets to the circular icon, it shuts off. If I boot up in single user mode, then try to boot it up, it says "CPU Halted" before powering down.

Any one have any clue what's going on? I have all my data backed up, so I'm not worried on that end. However, I would love to get as much life out of this computer as I can. Any recommendations would be most appreciated.

Thanks!

Back