Cray on eBay

The whole problem with these computers is operating environment. Most homes don't have the power to power them (most use 3 phase power), let alone the cooling environment for them. And, even if they did have the power, the cost just to keep it running and cool is huge.

Brian

It would be cool though :)

I'd love to have it in my living room just so I could bring a linux geek friend of mine over and say, "oh yeah, we just got this Cray here. I installed Darwin on it and we use it for watching the Simpsons on divx".

Nah, what would be cool would be getting a C64 to run Darwin and play the Simpson's on DiVX :) Getting the Cray is just a matter of money, getting the C64 to work would be talent :)

Brian

btoneill said:
Most homes don't have the power to power them (most use 3 phase power), let alone the cooling environment for them.

I know of an SGI Power Series 4D/440 VGXT that I could have for $75.00 (it was originally $172,000 in 1990). It was a very nice system, four MIPS R3000 processors at 40 MHz and one of the best pre-OpenGL graphics boards ever.

The problem isn't the software for me (I have a ton that'll run on that series of computer including IRIX 5.3 with XFS), it is the size (about half the height of a refrigerator) and the power needs. If I could get around those issues (and get my wife to okay it) I would have that system in a second.

Here is what it looks like (different system, same form factor).

Attachments

• deskside.gif
    deskside.gif
    4.5 KB · Views: 25
5000 Xserge G5s clustered would do the trick for me...<G>...If I ever win that big Powerball jackpot, I might just do it for kicks.

Back