creating a package- how?

Aussie John

Registered
is there a way to turn an applications folder into a package so I see only a single file to open in application folder.
Some installers create and application folder and others a package?
thanks

Are you trying to make an app?

All applications in OSX have the .app extension, otherwise OSX just sees them as folders.

By default, you do not see the extensions.

Good Luck,:)
SA

well not trying to make an app just want the folder to disappear and the app bundle only to be visible. If it is possible

It's possible to make .pkg files. "Duh!" I just don't know how. But I think that making .pkg files in replace of .sit files would be a good thing...lemme go look around. I'll get back to you with more information....

I don't think Aussie's trying to create a package (.pkg) - I think he wants a NeXT-style application bundle (.app). The point is that some applications come as a folder, with just the app surrounded by a host of config files, help files, etc, etc, while others are a single application bundle with all of that stuff inside. Contrast the Netscape 4.x folder with all its files vs. recent Carbonized Netscape versions (or OmniWeb for a better example). I don't think you can convert one to the other - it's a matter of how the app is written.

I seem to remember mucking around in the Finder and noticed that folders renamed with the .app extension magically become Application bundles with a warning dialog. Or maybe that's just when you remove the .app extension. Hmm.

I suppose you could use Project Builder to make one easily enough. Build a sample application and then throw away the original contents of the resulting application bundle.

To address your original question, yes some installers create an "application folder" but check it, there's still an application bundle inside that folder. At some point any installer for a Cocoa or Mach-O style Carbon application has to write an application bundle ("package"). It would be useless to turn the enclosing ("application") folder into a bundle because double-clicking it will not launch the application bundle within.

So your solution is to take the application bundle out of the folder and put it where you want it and then throw that silly "application folder" away!

Back