creating a tiger dvd with nero

flacochala

I`m in!!
hi guys!.. long time no see. This is my story... i have purchased tiger some time ago, but the dvd disc suffered scratches making it unreadable... so i decided to download a .dmg from the net (since i have purchased tiger i think there are no legal issue with that) and decied to make a backup dvd... im only with a windows machine now, so i used ultraiso to convert the dmg image to and iso image, and then i burn it with nero.. the problem is that the dvd is not booting... al the data inside the dvd is in perfect condition, but i boot with the "c" letter holded down... or selecting the booting device.. or even clicking in the dvd "install mac os x" application... but the dvd wont boot... has anyone had a similar problem??? answers appreciated... thanks

The problem is that to make a CD/DVD bootable is done by support apps, not sure if Toast has the feature to make the DVD bootable or what other burning software does it. Using Nero on a Windows machine won't Make it bootable for the Mac to boot on.

You may find away of networking the Mac and Windows machine together and using the burnt DVD you have from the Windows machine to install the Apps but propbably not the system.

How did you get the .dmg file to the Windows machine?

Do _not_ answer the last question, since this would definitely violate the board rules. The whole thread is a little edgy, because for others, it doesn't matter whether _you'_ve bought Tiger or not...

'How did you get the .dmg file to the Windows machine?' - as per the original post - '... so i decided to download a .dmg from the net ...'.

One can download (particularly) any file format on any computer platform. Whether or not one can use or manipulate such file (format) is another thing.

'... not sure if Toast ... or what other burning software does it.' - Roxio Toast and Disk Utility can create bootable discs. Other Macintosh disc burning software may also; but, I have yet to try such.

Although you're obviously ignoring me, anyway, barhar: I guess the question really is whether he can burn it correctly on his _PC_. "i'm only with a Windows machine now" was mentioned in the original post.

You can use Disk Utility on the Mac and make a new copy of your Tiger DVD and it will work fine.

yeah.. i read a lot about making a backup dvd with disk utility and hdiutils, but i dont have a working mac machine now.. i only have a friends pc. I have been able to create the dvd with all the data inside (i can read the pdf for example).. but when i try to make my ibook boot with the dvd, a folder with a question mark appears... im still trying to figure out a way to create a tigers dvd in a pc that a mac can boot... if i find a way il post it

well... i've done it, i downloaded a different image of tiger.... a .iso image... and burn it with my friend's pc.... it worked perfectly...

Back