Creating Drivers for Mac on INTEL

bmcgonag

Registered
I am by no means a newbie to computers or OS's, but I have never written drivers before, nor software to use the drivers specifically.

Allow me to elaborate so that you know where I'm going with this.

My group at my university has just purchased and installed a projector that will work wirelessly. Unfortunately the manufacturer of the product is short-sighted and only makes software for Windows.

There is really no issue connecting to the signal with the wireless projector for a mac, which every single person in my group happens to use, but we have no software to get the projector to display what is on the desktop.

Are there any good tutorials out there for how to go about writing a small program that would do this, or maybe drivers if needed, but as I stated we can all detect and connect to the wireless signal, we just can't transmit our desktop through that signal.

Thanks,

Brian McGonagill
Texas Tech University, High Energy Physics Group

Well you'd need specifics about the projector and the protocol(s) used to display a Windows PC's screen on the projector. Is the projector seen as a display from the Windows PC? (I guess _not_.) Is there a software which transmits a video stream to the projector? Can you _emulate_ that on another operating system? Does a solution exist for linux? Can such a solution, if it exists, be looked at more closely (i.e. open source)?

The "INTEL" part which you put in such big letters, has nothing to do with the subject, I guess...

ON non-Intel macs the virtual pc allows them to use windows emulation with the software to make it work, but no one really wants to waste 3 to 4 Gig of HD space to do this.

I know that windows, thus far is the only OS that this projector works with. I have tried to look at their software, but it is compiled, and only comes up as junk when you open it in a text editor.

Not sure where to go from here.

Brian

Back