Creating Hyperlinks in Mail

Count_Rugen

Registered
Is is possible to create a hyperlink from text in an email in Mail? ie, i want the words "Click here" to link to a web page. How can I do this?

I don't think the "click here" with the hyperlink is a good idea, Rugen. If anything which contains "click here" or "remove" comes to my mail, the email goes directly to trash. Very rare legitimate emails contain "click here" - if you just give the url to your friends, they should understand to click on it - even if they were aol users. I am for sure not the only one with that filter.

Sure, it can be done. But why would you want to send an email containing "click here" to your friends? It risks getting to spam filters. Morally a better solution is just give them the link without text covering the url.

I agree with Giaguara on this one Count. I also have a similar spam filter that looks for that string. Just include the http:// in the link and most email clients turn it into an active link.

I tend to disagree. Many windows email clients are not turning a link I send from my mail app into an active link. I wish it would do so.

I received an email yesterday from another Mac user in which a valid link was not active. Don't know whether he was using Mail or Entourage though.

It would be nice to create hyperlinks in Mail, not to disguise the subject of a link, but rather to reveal it (as illustrated in this post.)

well, write them that if the link doesn't work they should copy and paste it in the address bar of their browser... not so elegant, but better than have a message trashed or blocked by a spam filter...

Giaguara said:
I don't think the "click here" with the hyperlink is a good idea, Rugen. If anything which contains "click here" or "remove" comes to my mail, the email goes directly to trash. Very rare legitimate emails contain "click here" - if you just give the url to your friends, they should understand to click on it - even if they were aol users. I am for sure not the only one with that filter.

Sure, it can be done. But why would you want to send an email containing "click here" to your friends? It risks getting to spam filters. Morally a better solution is just give them the link without text covering the url.

Hey Giaguara, it's fair enough to empart (sound) advice, but Rugen has asked you a question on how to achieve a solution to a technical issue that he's having a problem with. Do you know how to do it, or not? Sorry, I don't mean to be rude or rant, but I find it REALLY annoying when someone asks a specific question, and they get a nebulous answer along the lines of, "you shouldn't ask this question"!

I don't think that Apple's Mail program has the same scope for handling HTML as other email clients, so it isn't possible to include a hyperlink and just apply it to some body text. I could be wrong about this??

I've had similar problems with URL's being non-active in emails sent via Mail, but enclosing the URL inside angle brackets <URL> usually sorts it out.

Hope that helps.

Back