Creating VPN.

desko

Registered
(Sorry for my imperfect English: I hope you'll be able to understand my problem. Thanks)

I've got an old iMac G3 at work and a new MacBook at home, both with MacOS X 10.4.8, both connected to internet via ADSL, but with different providers.
I'd like to connect them, so that I could exchange documents between them.
Is it possible?
Is it difficult (I'm not expert about networks)?
Is it expensive (i.e. do I need a software not included in Tiger and not freeware)?
Thank you very much.

Giuseppe

if they are on separate provider networks, then you will need to "port forward" on the receiving machine's router.

The router/s you have may already support inbound VPN connections, but you will need to check with the respective router vendors to find out.

As far as VPN, there needs to be an authorizing VPN endpoint. It is usually the router, if VPN inbound is supported.

It is not completely easy, but it's as cheap as possible while still being secure. It's also possible to share files without a VPN, but that's scary insecure.

MacOS X comes with PPTP support. That's insecure, mostly there for logging into bad DSL providers.

MacOS X also comes with IPSec from the KAME project. IPSec is legendary for being hard to use. I haven't looked into it recently.

There's also a port of OpenVPN to MacOS X. The TunnelBlick project makes it especially easy to turn the client side of the tunnel on and off with a GUI. OpenVPN requires just forwarding UDP, not special protocols. http://www.tunnelblick.net

However, I haven't tried setting up the server side of an OpenVPN tunnel on Mac.

Back