Critique and help with content

kalantna

Registered
Hey everyone,

I'm currently developing a website for the faculty and staff you use macs at the university I work at. I'm the Apple IT. Can you believe they pay me to "work" on these machines? ;)

Anyway can you all take time to visit the site listed below? Feel free to give me your opinions about the site and please if you can offer any help as far as tips and tricks, writing any software reviews, etc. I would be eternally gratefull and give you credit for you contribution.

Thanks

http://www.marshall.edu/it/cit/mac

Yes, get rid of the frames. I suggest including the code to write them in an external Javascript or CGI file and simply including it in each page.

Normally I would, but I have to look at my audience. Which is users who can barely turn on their computers. I've thought about using iframes, but they always seem barely stable at best. So, I resigned myself to frames. Sigh

<div> and <span> are your friends ;) and it has always been my experiance that clueless uses have more problems with frames than anything else. Why don't my bookmarks work?

-Eric

Don't use iframes... they are annoying to get working.

I can't see how it makes a difference whether the links at the bottom are part of each page or not. If these people can barely use their computers, they are not going to notice the difference, even with dial-up. I still suggest you find a way to incorporate them at the bottom.

What would be cool, something I contemplated but couldn't implement, is using something like "inner-HTML" to change the content of a page dynamically when someone clicks a link without loading a whole new page. It would take longer to download initially, and all your code would be on one page, but imagine how impressed people would be.

Excellent look and feel overall! I didn't look through all pages, but the ones I did see all looked pretty informative.
However, to add to the other opinions here: in my opinion, unless frames are used perfectly, they are useless ******* nuisances. Now, I think yours actually look fine, they don't get in the way or anything, so I wouldn't worry about them too much.
I personally haven't used them for anything that I actually put on the web since I was about 10 (three years ago).

Back