Croken USB key drive

sUICIDE_mONKEY

Registered
Just got given a usb drive thingey to see if I could figure why it wasnt working. Its 256MB, think its made by 'Peak', and basically whats happenin is when its put in a win computer, a message displays that the usb device is unknown, when i put it into my mac, nothin happened, no 'error and do i want to initialise this drive' message, it doesnt show up under usb in the system profiler nor does it in the disk utility.
It worked fine apparently up until last week, I think it got ejected without being unmounted.
Would this mean its corrupted? any way to possibly get the files off of it, maybe get it working again?
Cheers!

in windows format it in fat32, instead of the ntfs default. mac os cant read ntfs and windows cant read the defaukt mac filing system(raw?), but they can both read fat32

i had the same problems :D

also when formatting , format completely and repair the disk/scandisk. that should sort it out.

excellent, cheers... now how do I format things in windows XP,i aint really used windows since win 95/98.....
thanks again! :D

open up my computer with the pen drive in, right click on the pen drive image (shoiuld be something like (f:\) and select format...

in the window that comes up, selct FAT32 as the filing system to format at. after that make sure you do a full format (could take a while, but worth it)

have fun!

But it wont mount on the windows computer, thats the problem, so if it wont mount, it wont appear in 'My Computer'... "...whats happenin is when its put in a win computer, a message displays that the usb device is unknown..."
I dont need compatability with the mac, im just tryin to get it workin again, so the ntfs default format is fine, I only put it into my mac to see if it recognised it....

google for drivers - it's not being recognised as anything, so you need a croken driver for it. are you using xp?

These things are designed by the annally retentive. Have you looked at the CD that came with it? There is probably some security software that unfortunately is by default "on" when you purchase it.

You will need to reformat it on the PC using the software supplied with the device. Usually they provide an initial password like "12345" to get you access at the sucker.

It is all designed like most PC junk to let hackers free access to all your hardware whilst keeping you out.

Back