Cross platform database

Mike Adams

Registered
We wish to compile a fairly large database of all chemicals on campus. It will contain a variety of information about each chemical. including where it is located, when bought etc. We would like to find a cross-platform database program that is user-friendly (most users will need a simple graphic interface if they are to make use of the program)

We have played with Excel, but are not too happy with it as a database solution. Does anyone have suggestions? I would be particularly happy to hear from anyone already using something for a similar purpose

Many thanks

A web application would probably best suit your needs. The only problem is that you probably need a programmer to implement such a solution but depending on how robust you need it to be it could be a fairly simple project.

If you don't have a programmer available something like filemaker would be one alternative. I've never used it so I couldn't tell you about its quality but it is cross-platform in the sense that it runs on OS X and Windows and I think it provides Microsoft Access like functionality. Such solutions are usually appealing initially but usually don't scale very well. Filemaker also costs quite a bit and after that you still need to set it up.

IMO the best solution would be to create a centralized database that’s modified either from a webapp or a thin client application. If this sounds appealing to you but you don't have the people resources I'll offer to write it for you for cheap. It'd be in my free time though so I wouldn't be able to dedicate myself 100% to it.

Thanks: we do have someone who can write a web-based solution, but didn't want to reinvent the wheel unless necessary

Back