Crossover!!!!!

SIYWGF

Registered
Sum 1 help me, have been trying to connect my iMac and my iBook together via my Ethernet Crossover cable in OS X, and no matter what i do i cant get it to work!!!! i used to do it Via OS 9 but i deleted OS 9 on the iBook cos i never use it. I need to transfer my Mp3's and stuff so if possible can sum1 PLEASE tell me how to do this? i aint too tech wise so make it simple!!!!!
Many thanks
xxx

This thread is loosing altitude so if nothing else I'll just bump it up.

one thing I would try is setting one up in "target" mode. It has something to do with holding the T key down while starting up one of the computers and it will act like a hard disk for the other. Search target mode on the forums or maybe someone will be able to offer a better explanation. I myself have not tried this as I have no need to but you could see if it works for you.

As both macs probably have firewire, you might want to use a FireWire cable and startup one of the Macs as a firewire harddisk (press "t" during startup until FW icon appears). Much easier and more convenient then networking!

Assuming you have fairly new Macs, grab a FireWire cable and plug each end into each computer. Then you can just browse the other hard drive and snag what you need.

Otherwise, what martijnvandijk said should work.

Create new locations on each Mac and name them something like "Crossover". Make that location active.
In the TCP/IP tab select Ethernet Built-in from the Show drop-down.
Configure manually.
On the first machine set IP: 10.0.0.2 ; Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0 ; Router: 10.0.0.1
On the second machine set IP: 10.0.0.3 (Subnet and router must be the same as the first machine).
Turn File Sharing on on both machines.
On the first machine from the Go menu select Connect to server.
Enter 10.0.0.3 in the address field. Enter the name and password of the admin of the second machine (this will give you the option to mount the entire Hard Drive, not just user's home directory).
Copy away.

These instructions are fairly straight-forward and should be easy enough to adjust for the fact that one machine may be running OS 9.

Could your crossover cable have gotten broken somehow? If your Mac's are fairly new you should be able to do it without a crossover cable since the ports are autosensing so you could use a regular cable if your crossover cable is bad:
http://developer.apple.com/techpubs...s-G3/ibook/3_Input-Output/Ethernet_Port_.html
"When connecting two computers using Ethernet, a crossover cable is not required; circuits in the PHY detect the type of connection and switch the signal configuration as required."

I believe that both (haven't tested this) machines must have gigabit ethernet for it to work without a crossover. I know for a fact the auto-sensing ones are definitely the gigabit e-net ones, though. Like I said, I don't know whether or not both machines must have gig-e or not. Will have to test this further.

Only one machine has to be autosensing (only one has to switch its configuration and then it's just like having a crossover cable). I've done this with my brother's PC, which is not autosensing, many times.

Gigabit ethernet machines are not the only ones with autosensing ports. I don't know when iBooks started having autosensing ports but they do now, and they've never had gigabit ethernet. Check out the link I posted above -- it's an Apple Developer Note talking about the iBook's 10/100 ethernet port. At the bottom it talks about connecting two computers to each other using an ethernet cable.

autosensing started with the first TiBook, which 'only' has 10/100 MBit Ethernet. Should work with both a normal or a crossover cable, although I don't wanna know what happens when two parties start autosensing. ;)

Cheers for your help everyone, i'll give it a go now and let u know what happens!!!! my the way i am using an iMac DV 400 and an iBook 500 (CD-ROM) by the way the cable is fine, it worked perfectly in OS 9, by the way does anybody know how Jaguar will run on my machines?? The ibook has 320
mb and the imac has 192, not much i know but its much more expesive here in the UK!!!

Sure it will run. How well it will run we'll have to wait and see. Which graphics card do you have? That'll make a difference for Quartz Extreme. You may also want more RAM. More RAM is good. OS X loves RAM. Is it really that much more expensive in the UK? can you try to order it from a US source and hope it's not opened by customs? I used to do that in Korea all the time since Mac stuff was so expensive. It worked about 75% of the time.

Back