CRT Monitor is green in corner

kilowatt

mach-o mach-o man
I left the screen at my mom's house for a month or so, and then it happened.

Sounds like it needs to be degaussed, right? Well, the monitor (an Mitsubishi 920, by NEC) has a degauss function built right in to the on screen controls.

When I press it, the screen does the usual psychedelic degaussing dance, and it looks fine towards the end. When the degausser cuts off (you can hear a relay click), the green is back in the same place!!

There are no magnets anywhere near the display, and as far as I know, nothing about the environment has changed.

Could prolonged contact with a very strong magnet have permanent effects? Will my about-to-expire warranty likely cover this?

Any ideas would be GREATLY appreciated, as I'm about to take it with me on my road trip from Cincinnati, OH to Tempe, AZ.

Thanks!

It almost always happens when speakers that are not shielded are used with the computer and placed too close to the display. Another source is Flourescent desk lamps. They can cause this if placed too close as well.

Your warranty may not cover it as it could be caused by the environment and you may not be able to prove otherwise.

The symptom generally goes away after several weeks to a few months if the source is removed. I have also had good results using a magnet to 'draw out' the color by slowing moving the magnet from the inside of display to outside the affected area.

i would not do this though if uncomfortable. It can make it worse if not done correctly.

I had a problem with my 17" Studio Display CRT. I used a combination of magnet and degauss to get it out. After using the magnet to remove the problem (everything seemed blue-ish on mine down the left side) I de-gaussed to remove the bits of other colours that the second magnet had caused. most pc repair shops will be able to fix it, but may charge excessive prices..

Thanks for the suggestions.

I think I'm gona buy a tape eraser (basically a coil of wire similar to a degaussing coil) and try that.

I actually checked, and I think this is covered under warrenty. But, I also found out its a three year warranty. I remember buying Mac OS X for this computer (that would be... January 24, 2001), and that makes it more than three years old. :(

I sure hope I can get it to go away, because its a real eye sour.

Thanks for the suggestions!

Back