CSS Float help within IE5/5.5 Windows.

uoba

Re: member
It' that CSS-standards time again :D

I've got the chance to take on a XHTML validation job (albeit of a design I did last year, but validation wasn't requested back then, and I was still blissfully unaware). Anyway, the client is now seeking validation (XHTML 1.0 Transitional)... they're in education, so it's a gateway to governmental accreditation if it's achievable.

The design was a very extensive, graphical beast consisting of tables upon/within tables. These tables mainly made up the main graphical element on the page, which was a a lovely round-cornered panel, which held a lot of information/options.

So, the key to getting this thing sorted out, is to recreate these panels without tables.

I have managed to do this very successfully in Safari, Mozilla, Netscape (7), and IE6 (Windows). The design consists of a couple of divs (4) all styled with CSS, particularly the float attribute.

However, there is a problem in IE5.5 and IE5 (PC). I am not sure if it's to do with the floats, or something to do with the way these two browsers handle images (there are some images placed within the panel to make up it's corners etc.)

Here's the working version: http://c-o2.net/pub/dev/ft/panel.htm

And here's a screenshot of the problem in IE5/5.5 in Windows:

ie5_55.gif

Any ideas anyone? (All CSS is within the html, and I've taken out the Hobbies image title from the IE5/5.5 version)

Case closed... Come on guys, I gave you 3hrs to figure this out... lame. ;)

It was a Tantek box hack that fixed it. This code inserted before the intended CSS code tricks IE5/5.5:
Code:
* html img.panelFloatLeft {
margin: 0 -3px; ma\rgin: 0;
}

Always something, isn't it?

BTW, you aware there's a nasy little problem on the www.co-ord.com site? The 'folio' and 'w3c' boxes on the left don't expand when you increase the text size, looks horrible when that happens. Other than that very clean and simple, I like it.

The amount of problems with that site are too many to mention (thnx anyway ;) )

I am trying to get a new site up as and when time allows. The current one was developed whilst learning XHTML/CSS/Standards etc. Thus, things are very much incorrect and became very anal! I forgot I was a designer halfway through. The next one will look more interesting.

It gets easier with every site you do, just takes time. Kinda like riding the bike, gotta fall off a few times and scrape your knee before you get it right.

I just made the mistake of trying to redo a site for where I work...think I bit off more than I could chew but oh well, the other ones was horribly unaccessible and at least this one works for everyone. Now I just gotta work the little kinks out, then make 4 new different styles. OH JOY!

Back