ctrl + finder

istyan

Registered
Hi

since some days i get some problems :
when i ctrl click on the desktop (to make the sub menu appear) it relaunch the finder...

Any ideas ???

Something is screwed. Try making another user account and see if it does the same thing. If not then that profile is your problem, probably a corrupt file somewhere. If it does it in all profiles something bigger is screwed, reinstall Mac OS X to be sure.

Have you added anything like TinkerTool? Something could be goofy with the Finder. Could trash the plist and repair permisisons and see if that helps.
DejaMenu is a great app (and free). Could also try that and see if you can solve your problem.

istyan, some one else here recently had the exact same problem.

Like Randman said, rebuilding com.apple.finder.plist from user/library/preferences is the first thing to try.

thanks for your answers.

I'll try your suggestions.

One question : How do you rebuild the com.apple.finder.plist from user/library/preferences ???

I'm a beginner (or should i say switcher) with mac.

Easy! Just drag com.apple.finder.plist to the desktop and relaunch the finder by pressing command + option + esc. A new .plist file will be generated automatically.

You still might have to repair permissions from Disk Utility.

In all honesty I have never had this exact same trouble myself but rebuilding the .plist file has fixed problems with some other third party utilities for me.

Hope you are otherwise enjoying your new Mac!

it could also be a problem with some software you installed that employs a contextual-menu-item in the finder..
if you cntr+click the desktop, all the finders' contextual menu-items will try to see if there's anything for them to do here.. if one of them crashes, it will take the finder with it...

especially if your desktop is extremely full with items, that might be the problem..

i think

arri

Hi

I rebuild the com.apple.finder.plist and the problem isn't solved. I have only 12 items on the desktop (including the Mac HD).

Is there some tools to allow you to know what is crashing the finder ?????

what 3rd party software do you have installed?

as i said before, this can affect finder performance..

Back