Ctrl+Function keys don't work?!?

AriK

Registered
I just got a macbook pro 15.4 with 10.6.4 or updated OS. The ctrl+F2 (move focus to top drop down menus such as file, edt, etc) doesn't work.

History:
Loaded everything, updated software and then noticed it didn't work. Called mac, went back and forth, in the end they said do a reinstall. Did that and nothing.

Any thoughts?

Ari

Go to System Preferences > Keyboard > Keyboard Shortcuts, and make sure these shortcuts are enabled and have the same key combination you're used to. This feature is not on by default.

Have you tried holding down the Fn key? (e.g., Fn-control-F2.) On laptops, sometimes you need to hold that key for the F# keys to act normally. I think there's an option to control that somewhere, but I'm not sure where.

Hope this helps.

SOLVED THE PROBLEM!!!

I had to go to Preferences > Keyboard > Keyboard and click the box for "Use the F1-F12 keys to control software features. This is not a default. Oddly enough, what is a default is selecting which shortcuts work which is under the same window but you select Keyboard Shortcuts.

Hello Arik.

I found that, you need to press Fn+Ctrl+F1 first ( and once only during your session), before you can actually press Fn+Ctrl+F2..

This is also configurable if you Go to System Preferences > Keyboard > Keyboard Shortcuts > Turn full keyboard access on or off.

Is my reply many years late? :(

@nightlifecj is correct: Fn-Ctrl-F1 has to be pressed first. This was driving me nuts and I thank him profusely (2 years late) for his post.
That said, I still think it's silly that Apple makes us choose between convenient brightness controls and an easy keyboard shortcut to access menus. I don't want to have to press fn every time; it requires a 2nd hand and abandonment of the mouse. If Ctrl is held down, then F2 should be menus. If not, it should be brightness. fn shouldn't enter into it.

Back