cube and cinema display 23"

bogomips

BOTH
Got a cube with the standard ATI 16 Mb video adapter. When connecting the display (Cinema 23") in OS-X I end up with no video.

In the beginning of the boot process (Apple logo screen) I have video.

Is the display simply not compatible with the cube, or do I need to change video adapter?

check whether you have have a PCI or AGP based video card. You may find that the ATI Rage 128 (which your specs indicate you have have) is PCI based, and may have some issues with the connector to the Cinema display.

If you have video and then lose it, could it be because the previously-attached monitor was set to a resolution that the Cinema Display doesn't support? Or could it be the native resolution of that HUGE display simply isn't supported by the ATI card?

There are preferences you can reset / change, both in Mac OS 9 and X to set the default resolution. Preferences are implicated because the video works (in the "native" resolution?) until the OS starts loading.

Attach a regular VGA monitor and then...

In Mac OS 9 delete:

Display Preferences

...and in Mac OS X delete (if present):

com.apple.systempreferences.plist
ATIDisplays3.plist
ATIMonitor.plist

Reboot the computer and reset the PRAM using CMD-OPT-P-R at bootup.

Boot into Mac OS 9 first and set the monitor resolution to something the Cinema Display will support. Download the latest ATI drivers and firmware and install them both. Set the resolution to something the Cinema Display will support.

Reboot into Mac OS X and install the latest ATI drivers. Set the resolution to something the Cinema Display will support.

Shut down the computer and reattach the Cinema Display. See if it works.

No guarantee it'll work, but these are the basic steps I'd try first.

The stock ATI RagePro 128 is not compatible with the 23" Cinema (but is with the 22"). You'll need to upgrade your video card to at least a Geforce2MX, which you can find on eBay. If you want a 64MB card (GF2 is 32MB), you can get a Geforce3. Check out www.cubeowner.com for more info on the installation (which is fairly easy if you follow the proper steps).

I upgraded my video card to a Geforce2MX, and now it's working.

Too bad I didn''t wait 2 months before bying that monitor :-(

Back