Curious about "built in VPN client" anyone know about it?

Fahrvergnuugen

I am the law!
From apple's site:
You can easily add a Mac to a home network with Windows-based PCs or connect to your office network over Virtual Private Network (VPN) using Panther’s built-in client.

My office has a checkpoint firewall. Right now I have to use a proprietary client that is windows only to connect - which is the only reason I have a PC.

Does anyone know anything about the built in VPN client? I have no idea how VPNs work or even how to set one up.
I would love to be able to ditch my pc all together though.

same here. Still using cisco's free client. Have no idea how to set up the vpn-server data and login...

You need to set up a VPN server at the office end. Set up can include a variety of security types (primarily PPTP and L2TP).

Essentially the difference is that L2TP uses a security certificate so is more secure.

Panther makes it easy to connect to the VPN:
1. Open Internet Connect, select VPN (if the icon isnt there select File > Make New VPN Connection).
2. Select the type of VPN
3. Enter the server and login details
4. Done

Hope this helps. I have a work VPN I have successfully connected to but haven't played around with it mucch more than that yet.

tnx!
But now I chose IPSec and not PPTP (?). I realized it's not working with the IPSec option. How do I change it? I cannot get back to the option for the type of VPN

Originally posted by Zammy-Sam
How do I change it? I cannot get back to the option for the type of VPN

I found the same problem... I think because of the type of VPN connection you cannot change it once yo uhave selected it.

My suggestion would be to make another PPTP connection from scratch. (BTW I did the same thing the first time around ;) )

Originally posted by Fahrvergnuugen
Good to know...
Are PPTP and L2TP the only supported types? Or are there others as well?

These are the only two that you can choose. Pardon my ignorance but I was not aware of any other mainstream encrypted VPN tunnels than these two. BTW L2TP is actually "L2TP over IPSec".

There's IPSec without L2TP - IPSec is a pretty robust VPN on its own. I think the (unfortunate) reason Apple is using those two VPN systems, is that they're the de facto ones used by MSFT. Unfortunately, PPTP is notoriously broken, as is straight L2TP (without IPSec to cover its arse, basically).

so when you authenticate, you just type in a username and password? is there some sort of security certificate? what makes VPNs secure?

The Apple version of VPN client allows either password or the use of RSA SecurID. IPSec uses a "shared secret" that is used to encrypt/decrypt the packets. Although I've never used IPSec I assume this would be a 16-digit hex code (?).

As to security, L2TP works by creating a separate "tunnel" in the internet to send data packets down. To crack your information, the hacker would have to isolate your tunnel (hard but not impossible), know your password (hard) or RSA SecurID number (very hard) and then know the encryption algorithm and secret word (very difficult). Altogether its pretty darn unhackable (which is why so many companies use it) and only really vulnerable if you have a very concerted and capable hacker. Really you are only at risk from someone who knows exactly what they are after and who you are (at which point they may as well mug you on the way to work and steal your laptop).

Both protocols are quite safe because there are so many millions of PPTP and L2TP tunnels criss-crossing the internet that it is highly unlikely that someone could identify the right one to begin with (and its not like your data packets are "floating" around the internet). In fact most ADSL providers use one or the other to connect their users through their data links, an keep each users data separate and secure (and measurable) through their fat pipes.

Very helpful info.

The Apple version of VPN client allows either password or the use of RSA SecurID. IPSec uses a "shared secret" that is used to encrypt/decrypt the packets. Although I've never used IPSec I assume this would be a 16-digit hex code (?).

thats the best news ive heard all week. I have a SecureID (and a XP PC to go with it) Knowing that panther will allow me to use bbedit to write code and completely ditch the PC makes me a very happy camper.

Will the firewall admin even have to change anything for the VPN from panther to work with the SecureID?

Myself, I use PPTP (Jaguar) extensively at home to connect to my job corporate network. No changes on their part are necessary.

Someone has pointed out that PPTP is inherently insecure, is that so? I will google but do you have any pointers?

That brings up another question that I forgot... what type of VPN does the SecureClient / SecureID use?

I tried connecting using Internet Connect in 10.2 and it wouldn't work, so I'm assuming its not PPTP

Alright, I installed the latest seed of panther.

I found the VPN connect in the new internet connect application. I also see the RSA SecureID option.

I tried connecting through both PPTP & L2TP. Both of them errored out after a few minutes saying that the gateway could not be reached. I'm wondering if its using the wrong port or something?

Also, what is the "Shared Secret" box for?

Back