L2 Cache (per CPU): 1 MB
Memory: 512 MB
Bus Speed: 100 MHz
Boot ROM Version: 4.1.9f1
Serial Number: SG041SVEK59

System Software Overview:

System Version: Mac OS X 10.3.9 (7W98)
Kernel Version: Darwin 7.9.0

I have a new Epson CX4600 all-in-one scanner/printer (print driver 2.01 and TWAIN driver 2.31a I believe).

If I just do a standard copy/print from the printer itself (i.e.,using the Print button on the CX4600 without sending the imagesthrough the computer), the printed copy is amazingly close to the original. I scan a print using EpsonScan. The image shows up well on the monitor using colorsync defaults in Preview, iPhoto, etc..
In fact, it is also amazingly close to the original print!

So far so good.

Unfortunately, if I try actually printing the image from a program -- Photoshop 7 and CS2 -- the quality is horrible. Super dark, contrast high, lots of reds. When I use the CX4600 profile setting to do a soft proof on Photoshop, it looks crappy in exactly the same way. Which is, I guess, what's supposed to happen.

For a while, I discovered, it was possible to print using a profile called "Stylus CX4500 CX4600 Standard," which produced high quality results -- in other words, like the original image I'd scanned in, or like the image on my monitor if I used a color profile like Adobe RGB. However, this profile was wildly unstable, and would periodically disappear. Then, I'd strip out all the epson drivers -- by deleting all the epson files, then repairing permissions, and reinstalling them from disc -- and it would work again.

Recantly, it disappeared completely. I reinstalled as usual and "Stylus CX4500 CX4600 Standard" didn't provide the usual workaround. So, I figured I'd start from scratch.

I used Printer Setup Repair to uninstall completely, reinstalled the original drivers. That didn't work -- same lousy, dark prints. I looked around and decided to install the Gutenprint 5.0.0-rc1. That didn't help either. Same lousy prints.

I'm totally at a loss. Clearly, this is a driver issue, but I have no idea of how to fix it. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Mark Van de Walle

Back