cxx,gcc, or any other c compiler

sqeap

Registered
Hey guys, does anyone know how/where i can get a c++ or c compiler similar to gcc and cxx.
How would something like that be installed in OSX, is there any special thing I have to do, I have several OpenGL programs written on a Unix system and I would like to compile them on my copy of osx.
Is this even possible? Will openGL run on OSX?
Thanks

Ars Technica posted this link to an article at Maximum Linux about getting the command line compiler tools from the Darwin project into the Public Beta.

Also, it's been mentioned that in October, Online members at Apples Developer Connection will be able to download all of the developer tools (Project Builder, Apple's new IDE (built on top of open source tools like gcc and jikes); Interface Builder, etc). Online membership is free. See Apple's developer pages for more information about their development programs.

Select and Premier members are getting their CD's now, which include both the public beta and the developer tools (got mine today).

And yes, OpenGL is fully in Mac OS X. Apple's graphics strategy revolves around Quartz (2D), Quicktime (media), and OpenGL (3D). See the Mac OS X Graphics page. I think some OpenGL examples are in the developer toolset (available to subscribed developers) that show how to get OpenGL programs running in Mac OS X. (I don't know how much or how little would be involved to get your programs ported over).

The binaries provided with darwin (www.apple.com/darwin) are compatible with MacOS X. They include cc (which is a gcc) and many other nifty developer tools.

ok I figured out how to install it, but once its installed and you have a cc ability, how do you run the a.out files?

ok I figured out how to install it, but once its installed and you have a cc ability, how do you run the a.out files?

Just get EGCS. I have a copy on my harddisc at work, but have so far been unable to locate the thing again. When I do, I will post the URL.

I know it has GCC in it and information to compile it on Apple systems.

I will look

Regards,
Russ...
ruzz@mac.com

the a.out file is the name of the binary that cc generates if you don't specify one.

try this:

cc <i>yourfile.c</i> -o <i>binaryname</i>

then you'll see that cc generates a binary file named <i>binaryname</i> instead of a.out.

Good luck!
Chris

yes I knew about the name thing, but how do you run the programs once they are compiled. typing a.out didnt seem to work for me as a I am accustomed to.

Jeff

maybe you need to chmod +x a.out

then depending on if the file is in your path, you may need to type ./filename to launch it.

Back